Keeping your rings dry

Dean Lofthouse

Anticipating that I am going to need a lot more firewood this year I've decided to buy pond liners and cover up my rings :001_smile:

They are now dryish and will be bone dry by the time I need them rain or shine, I can now split straight from the pile instead of splitting into the barn and then rehandling into the truck when needed.

016.jpg.d759e1b07151c59d1d93c55931d8b0eb.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought that the rain doesnt really affect the "drying" process? Obviously the outside of the log will get wet in the rain but isnt the point of air drying to dry the core of the wood? Surely the rain wont impregnate the logs that much

I may be massively wrong tho haha

You are, you need to dry the outer edge of the log, then the moister in the middle will migrate out.

If the outer edge remains wet the inner will never dry.

I was told my theory by a guy who sold logs too haha

Daves right, they have been sat there three years and are still wet through on the inside.

I have had some covered for the last two month and as long as you keep the sides clear and dont put the cover to the ground they dont sweat and are bone dry underneath.

It may help that the covers are black rubber and absorb heat which transfers below, whereas white sheet doesn't and may sweat :confused1:

i have found that if i put unsplit stuff under plastic it doesnt dry well, i generally put split lengths under a tarp and within about 3-4months, cut it to length on my saw-horse, it burns fine like this but left in the round it wont dry properly, I am currently cooking and heating water on alder that was felled in march, and it gets lovely and hot,

If you split the rings they'll dry so so much faster! And they'll split so much easier as well. Also a good idea is to put your split logs onto pallets so they're not in touch with the ground.

I know you don't want to double handle but logs in rings will take years to dry.

If you made a bit more of a tent with the plastic it would be better - let the air circulate a bit.

Just a few ideas anyway!