Fings wot broke

aspenarb

35hp Rayco grinder, Briggs and Stratton engine.

I have already spent a grand getting a subby grinder in. Only 1 job on the books that needs grinding, so maybe I will send it back.

Terrible head cold atm so wasn’t going to do it today anyway.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

On 03/11/2022 at 21:34, difflock said:

It wisnay me. honest mate!

Could have been me😅😅

I'm slowly getting to grips with my arc welding (I know mig is supposed to be easier but stick is a lot more convenient), to the point where I can plan a job with a weld in and have a hope of it passing a hammer test😅👍  just need to practice, practice ,practice now and try and get tidier.

I welded 2  plates together all the way round and through some holes in the middle, then tacked up the brackets on top.  Now I know that it fits, I will get my mate to fully weld the brackets on, then I can tidy it all up. 

No doubt it would have been more efficient and certainly a better finish to have him do the whole thing, but that defeats the object of me getting stuck in to learn and improve 👍👍 

Oh and to keep in with the thread title,  the bucket I cut the brackets off is well and truly broken! Although it may get made into a bbq, another practice opportunity 👍

20221127_105536.jpg

20221127_105526.jpg

21 minutes ago, doobin said:

Why is mig so inconvenient for you?

I guess it wouldn't be if I had a mig setup😅🤦‍♂️  I'm quite happy to have a go with my mates in his workshop when I get the chance👍 

I suppose its just my arc welder is really handy, one smallish case with machine, leads, rods, easy to put in the truck, doesn't take up much storage space. It's  comparatively cheap to buy as well, which was quite important when I bought it.

Main thing is I an finally getting to grips with one kind of welding and actually starting to enjoy it, rather than just ending up pissed off with it👍

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, doobin said:

Why is mig so inconvenient for you?

I cannot answer for anyone else but the mig is bulkier, mustn't get wet, much heavier with a bottle and reel of wire and cannot be used outside in the wind.

The stick inverter and everything needed can be carried in two hands.

The stick welder also "needs" less preparation on rusty metal even though it should all be prepared the same.

I still haven't tried flux core wire in the mig.

I suspect I would use a mig more if I had a decent inverter model, and would love a spool gun to weld aluminium with one.

• Like 2