Pay

erfwerm

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No u just try to put others down for starting one lol. The whole purpose of forums is for other peoples opinions... which i needed to make an informed decision as to whether or not i have the right to approach my boss about it. I want to do it as respectfully as possible.

He gave you his opinion. I wouldn't approach your boss based on what others say either, go by what YOU feel is right, do it in the right manner and it will make all the difference. Believe me. Good luck.

I can never understand employees getting het up about what others 'say' they are earning and what others should be earning, but it does cause angst.

If someone is on a good whack are they really going to blab about it to others who are probably on less? Can anyone believe what others say they earn?

It's a valid question on a forum but employees will tend to overstate their earnings and it is in the interests of employers to maintain discretion and play the numbers down.

Who knows who is reading these threads on here.

I am happy to discuss wages with any of my guys any time but it is between me and the individual.

If we agree that an increase is due, it happens. I may take some persuading but if someone has become worth more then why not? I'd rather pay a bit more for good guys than keep advertising for newbies.

Go talk to the boss - don't brood over it. If he thinks you are worth more.....

just to spice it up a little bit more:) i actually started a similar subject end of last year and i was in similar position but im based in the North west so different part of country. ive got cs 30-31-32-38-39-41-47 cherry picker licence, first aid,costumer service level 3 qual,trailer licence.ive got nearly 4year experience and i take home about 70quit a day.my employer paid for all my training but they saved tone of money for the jobs ive done that even contractors wouldn't do it so ive asked for a pay rise early this year and got told i was on average for where we are:/ so big NO.im still working for them but keeping my eyes open for opportunities if not might go freelance one day.but its my personal circumstances made me stay.i had near enough same reaction from arbtalkers and i realise one thing its not how much you think you worth its how much your employer thinks your worth but dont forget every penny goes in your pocket comes out of theirs so they would rather keep it in theirs so its all comes down to your personal decision and choice mate...good luck

just to spice it up a little bit more:) i actually started a similar subject end of last year and i was in similar position but im based in the North west so different part of country. ive got cs 30-31-32-38-39-41-47 cherry picker licence, first aid,costumer service level 3 qual,trailer licence.ive got nearly 4year experience and i take home about 70quit a day.my employer paid for all my training but they saved tone of money for the jobs ive done that even contractors wouldn't do it so ive asked for a pay rise early this year and got told i was on average for where we are:/ so big NO.im still working for them but keeping my eyes open for opportunities if not might go freelance one day.but its my personal circumstances made me stay.i had near enough same reaction from arbtalkers and i realise one thing its not how much you think you worth its how much your employer thinks your worth but dont forget every penny goes in your pocket comes out of theirs so they would rather keep it in theirs so its all comes down to your personal decision and choice mate...good luck

:banghead::banghead: Its a "certificat of competence" not a licence :001_rolleyes::banghead::banghead:

I think your doing v well, I wouldn't pay you that much with only 2 yrs experience, look at other trades and you might be shocked!

I agree that £100/day ain't bad money (on the books). Your argument falls apart on other trades. 'On the books' plumbers, joiners or sparks are earning £15+ plus an hour around these parts... Don't tell me it's different up 'north'! I go up there every few weeks. The tradesman up there are earning similar to what tradesman are earning down here...... Do Ya want to come and buy a house down here?

I employ 8 lads and I adjust their pay according to ability, work ethic, qualifications, experience, etc etc.

I would rather my employees come to me and ask for a pay rise if they feel they are progressing. But I also understand some don't like to ask, and will carry on regardless until it's too late. I would rather they ask. because running a business comes first and finding work for the lads comes first.

So as a boss you are generally so pre-occupied with other things.

You generally need a kick up the asse from the lads to sort out the finer points of keeping a happy wage work relationship.

Then it's up to you to find the happy medium to keep your best and most efficient workers at the wage they want and the business can stomach.

I train all my lads myself so expect allot from them. Because if I can do it they can do it.

Obviously everyone has limitations, this is where I find the category they fall into the team and can work out their value to the business.

But most importantly part of the team.

if you don't ask you don't get so go for it ;)

The bottom line is, you'll never be well off working for someone else. If you want more, start your own gig....if you're any good at what you do(as well as the harder part of running an actual business), then you'll reach the pay you want/need eventually...with all the hassle that goes with it.