My accident

sean

Not sure if you are at Salisbury yet but when you do and can get outside there is a fabulous garden called the Horatio garden there. It was funded by the parents of the lad that got killed by a polar bear on a school trip 3 or 4 years ago. Anyone interested look up the Horatio garden!

April 1st

Came off the Oxygen yesterday so am now breathing freely on my own once again. Another small achievement but a biggie in terms of my rehab. I also broke my personal records on the inhalation and exhalation machines so the blood clots are obviously being dispersed which is great news. Just got to wait for the infection to disappear and then I'm off! Unfortunately not off off as in out of here but it will enable me to finally get out of this bed and out of this room. Nearly 3 weeks now lying on my back.... It's driving me nuts.

I've still got my own penthouse suite (hardly) but it is starting to feel like home. Unfortunately/fortunately ( not quite sure which) once my infection goes I will be evicted and placed on a 8 person ward with the snorers and the borers. Will be nice to mix with people, to hear their stories about rehab etc but it is also a little daunting. I'm sure it will all be fine however and I've got good earphones for when I want my own space.

It's weird having physio on my legs. As the nurse pulls and stretches I look down at these two large legs, sometimes freaking out that I cannot actually feel them. It's a very odd sensation. At times I have to turn away as I find it quite disturbing to look at. I'm still talking to my feet and they still aren't bloody listening!

Starting to getting used to the 3 hour turns during the night. Feel shattered though as the longest period of sleep I've had in the last couple of weeks is.... Wait for it..... 3 hours! I literally wake, turn, and get back to sleep again. In what seems like minutes the Gestapo walk into the room, hit the lights and it's turning time again. Because they are on nights a couple of the nurses just stand there yapping to you as you desperately try to get back off to sleep. Even when feigning sleep they will be by your side telling me stuff I wouldn't be interested in at 11 o clock in the morning let alone 2.30am. One of them was talking about The Voice on TV and then about how her neighbour who was a composer used to keep her awake all the time with his piano playing. Having left me to sleep she came in half hour later and woke me up to inform me that actually her daughter got to the audition stage of The Voice! Of the irony, you couldn't make it up.

Really sunny today and I cannot wait to get out into the garden and look at the distant views, there's trees and everything. Really looking forward to getting my creative back in and taking photographs out there.

Right, bed bath time courtesy of my lovely lady Susi. She's here until Sunday again which makes life here so much easier to handle x

Hi SEAN ALL BEST SEAN I wish you all best from Sonia Jon

I would like to place on record however, despite my little tongue in cheek comments at times the nurses have been incredible! I cannot fault them, they truly are angels :001_smile:

From what little experience I have of hospital stays, nursing staff become a lot like relatives. You don't always get on with all of them, and some are insufferable but at the same time each one of them is indispensable!

Like many others, I look forward to reading your next (well written) post on minor victories, major stebacks, and general life in your situation.

April 3rd

Ha ha I am now the proud owner of my own Testicle Hammock©. (I will spare you from seeing it in action, you'll just have to use your imaginations.) I know, I know, I've always been at the forefront of fashion, leading the way but I didn't realise I would continue to do so from my hospital bed. So boys, getting fed up of Betty Swallocks from laying in bed all day? Well the Testicle Hammock could be the answer. Keep those nether regions nicely aired as your testicles chill, swinging in the breeze whilst listening to tunes and enjoying a nice cold beer. Those creative crafty girls out there get to work now. It's Father's Day soon. A partners birthday. Get planning for Xmas. I'm thinking crochet, patchwork, tie dye, the options are endless.

So, I'm feeling alright, on the mend. Still achy but slowly weaning myself off of the pain killers. Enduring serious sweat outs at night however ( see above) and am going through a couple of gowns a night. Getting used to the 3 hourly turns and managing to fall straight back to sleep before the next turn.

Still waiting for the all clear from the C Diff which is still keeping me isolated from the rest of the ward. Not sure how much longer it will be but when the all clear comes I will be moved to the main ward which I still have mixed feelings about.

Sometimes I lay here and forget what I am in hospital for and then bam it hits me! I've got no legs!! Well I have but they have had a fall out with my spinal chord and decided that they aren't bloody listening for now. I start thinking about all the things I won't be able to do in the future and it gets me down. Susi reminds me of all the things I will be able to do but also tells me to concentrate all my energies on the the present. Get myself better, take each day as it comes and focus on getting my legs working. Jasper is convinced I will walk again some day so let's hope he is right.

Lots of talk this week about wheelchairs etc. I have been measured for a chair and a chest brace which will support my upper torso especially my back for the ensuing weeks in the chair. I have tended to switch off at any talk of chairs. I do not want to hear or accept it. I do not need a wheel chair, I do not want one. At the same time I cannot wait to get in one if it means getting out of this bloody bed. Jasper ( my little boy for those who do not know) has already talked to me about 'customising' my chair and suggesting he should get one too so we can get out together. Bless him. He seems a little shell shocked by it all but is handling it great as is Ellie and Alex. So proud of all them and miss them like mad.

Must tell you this before I go as it still makes me laugh and sums up Jaspers attitude to this whole episode. A few weeks ago me and Jasper were fighting and as usual after letting him get the upper hand for a while showed him who was boss when he said " you wait until you are 50 or 60 then I will kick your ass". To which I replied ' Jasper, when I am 50 I will still be kicking your arse, when I am 60 I will still be kicking your arse." Last week when he was talking to me on the phone, knowing I was going to be in a chair he says " oh yea Dad, what was it you were saying about kicking my arse when you are 50?". Got to love him.

Thank you all for your kind messages of support. They all mean so much and I am very grateful.:001_smile:

It's nice to read your progress Sean.

Science is starting to realise certain things they thought, are not actually true. I've just had a google about neuroplasticity and spinal cord injuries, you never know what the future might bring.