Timber theft

I was milling in our woodland last week, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday it rain so cleaned the kit back in on Friday to finish the half milled sections before the weekend.

Having parked up on Friday morning I heard the sound of metal on metal coming from further up the track on investigating I found a guy splitting tree trunks with an axe & wedge. When confronted he stopped and said he hadn't got permission (which I knew as it would have had to come from me) he knew he was stealing but didn't think anyone wanted the wood as it was lieing around on the ground.

He made out it was for personal use then later said he stood the Sunday market and had been told there was timber left on the ground in this wood.

Once I pointed out I didn't want to see him in the wood again, I started to unload for milling only to find the thieving, job dogging scumbag had been in the day before and stolen the half milled lengths I'd left.

When will people learn that woodlands & forest are private and they don't have the god given right just to take what they like when they like.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe best to have the conversation when you also happen to be doing some pest control. People tend to pay more attention when you have a 12g on your back.

I used to mess around in an old quarry when I was fifteen or sixteen... Always used to ignore the bloke telling us to leave until he came back, rightly or wrongly, with a shotgun on the back of his quad!!

Been forwarding next to a canal and could not believe a boater tie up with his roof covered in freshly cut rings then gets his chainsaw out and starts cutting the 3 mtr lengths I am about to forward out. At least he had full PPE of woolly hat and jeans. Reported to site manager who had a word and he promptly untied his boat and moved to the opposite bank and carried on cutting someone elses pre cut lengths.