Useless Stihl flippy cap leakes then broke

NFG

From a techies point of view.

1) The screw in type can break their thumb tabs although it isn't too often. The type where you use a slot head screw driver can wear through or wear the slot in the cap.

The O rings can start to leak and have had one or two of the larger ones where the threads have worn and the cap is almost impossible to undo.

2) Flippy caps - generally good but can leak but a new O ring and clean up usually cures this.

They have a clutch type mechanism where the cap initially locks in to place and then compresses the O ring so it squeezes against the fuel hole. The main issue here is that if the clutch mechanism slips, the cap top doesn't rotate to the position the flippy bit doesn't lock down and THAT is a pain in the posterior. I have had to ease the tank and cap to get this to work properly - usually on MS200Ts!

What do I like the best - Flippy caps I guess although they get more crap in them and more chance of chip to fall in the tank but they ARE a tooless solution where the Husky screw style ones can be hard to remove easily.

Thank you for the explanation,

I think I will have to agree to disagree with the lovers of this device, its a dismal failure for me - Im certainly surprised that an O ring should fail after 3 years moderate use, thankfully in the past engineering environment, they survived a lot longer despite being in very harsh conditions.

However, I did spend the entire afternoon flippy cap free with my 365, both quicker & easier to fill.

N

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have had one snap on BR600 leaf blower. On Stihl pole saw its a sod to locate it turns with out tightening. All the husqy tools I have are great filler caps why re invent the wheel? Get this you turn it anti clockwise to undo & clockwise to do up a classic thread desing it works every time it could not be better. Why change it & make it so it does not work as well. I guess it makes Stihl more unique than other brands.

I have had one snap on BR600 leaf blower. On Stihl pole saw its a sod to locate it turns with out tightening. All the husqy tools I have are great filler caps why re invent the wheel? Get this you turn it anti clockwise to undo & clockwise to do up a classic thread desing it works every time it could not be better. Why change it & make it so it does not work as well. I guess it makes Stihl more unique than other brands.

Hi,

Agreed, why re-invent the wheel?

I guess it makes Stihl more unique than other brands. Its a pity they dont at least have an option to use either, it would be simple to add as all that needs to be done is provide a threaded insert that will take a bung, whist the flippy cap brigade could screw in the adaptor to take the cap.

N

My pole saws fuel cap is the very devil to put on,takes anyone filling it 3 or 4 goes before it seats properly,even when the o ring,cap, and heck are spotless.

My topping saws also would test the patience of a saint, few weeks ago 1 was sent up to a climber who promptly covered his trousers in chain oil,he threatened to come down and throttle the groundie who has refilled it,a reliable man who normally knows what he's doing.

We see hundreds of Stihl chainsaws a year and the only flip cap that causes problems is the oil cap on MS181 and family models. The problem appears to be when the flip lid is not fully tightened before pushing the lid down. The are 2 recess holes in the cap lid that the flip needs to seat into, if it doesn't, it leaks

Hi

OK point noted, this was the fuel cap, it leaked like a sieve. I try my very best to align these things correctly but they constantly require removing & re-fit despite having permanent marker alignment marks.

The breaking of it could have been because it was quite cold today but fairly poor IMO, it just snapped with the minimal torque needed to turn it prior to flipping.

But according to some posters, with their ever sensitive 'problem divining rods' it is of course entirely my fault!

Anyway, looking at a non flippy husky tomorrow

N

I've never had a problem with them TBH. The old style screw type had a limited life span because people pushed too hard with the screwdriver and eventually pierced the cap.

I've enough old saws in various states of disrepair to have a stock of this sort of stuff.

I understand your frustration though.

Hi

I understand your frustration though, Thanks very much I appreciate your thoughts, have a virtual glass of Pineau from my barrel! (last but one post P3)

Ive never used a screwdriver to loosen a screw thread type bung, I line the threads carefully & torque sufficiently to seal, you get a feel for how tight these things should go & I dare say they are half the price to replace as a flip cap should one fail.

N

I have a mixed opinion of them and carry a spare in my tool bag in the truck. Had an early ms 241 and one of the things disintegrated on it's third only fill, that was the last straw for that Friday afternoon machine and back it went. On a pole saw of a guy I subbie to the oil cap is the devil to put in and pops out even when it feels and looks right. I have seen a few others break also not by my hand.

However every other one I have used has been a treat to use. On the broken ones they seem to break behind the shim, can't help thinking maybe some of the batches of shims are the wrong thickness and stop them working efficiently and/or stress the shaft of the cap.

Hi

I understand your frustration though, Thanks very much I appreciate your thoughts, have a virtual glass of Pineau from my barrel! (last but one post P3)

Ive never used a screwdriver to loosen a screw thread type bung, I line the threads carefully & torque sufficiently to seal, you get a feel for how tight these things should go & I dare say they are half the price to replace as a flip cap should one fail.

N

I have a feeling you've never tightend or loosened a 660 oil cap by hand :laugh1: