Before & After

treeman22tyger

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a dedicated employee to me. If I'd had the cost of a saw, blower, flip line and chipper repair taken from my wages, and THEN my employer started accusing me of gross negligence and calling me dopey on a public internet forum it'd take a great deal of restraint not throw the rest if his kit in the chipper and find a new job.

It's a pain in the ass, sure, but there are appropriate ways to publicly ridicule your boys, don't ya know?

Interesting pictures though. How long did it take you to pick all that it of the chip?

Sounds like a dedicated employee to me. If I'd had the cost of a saw, blower, flip line and chipper repair taken from my wages, and THEN my employer started accusing me of gross negligence and calling me dopey on a public internet forum it'd take a great deal of restraint not throw the rest if his kit in the chipper and find a new job.

It's a pain in the ass, sure, but there are appropriate ways to publicly ridicule your boys, don't ya know?

Interesting pictures though. How long did it take you to pick all that it of the chip?

And why would you bother:laugh1:

I don't think it is fair to charge your employee, things get broke accidents happen in this game. If they keep happening then perhaps look for a different employee.

However, is it legal/fair for me to fine my lads for repeatedly not doing simple things I ask of them?

Hi-vis for example. I supply them, but regularly turn up on site and find they aren't wearing them.. Eye protection, not using a banksman when reversing.. Not filling out the SSRA etc..etc..

My gut feeling is that it would cause bad feeling. I have thought about having a bonus that is lost, however feel that it is wrong to get a bonus for doing things that should be done anyway?

This thread makes me realise how lucky I am with my main groundie Stevo.

Stuff just gets done without really talking about it.

We rock up, have a walk round over a fag (efag for me) and a brew if offered, then get on with it.

We chat away, but normally about anything but work. We have breaks without ever discussing when.

When I am chatting to the customer, or he is, gear is packed up and put away where it lives.

He's broken stuff and offered to pay for it, but I've refused because it was literally an accident (silky Hayauchi blade bent by twisting limb and stuff, nothing major).

I think the wages docking is harsh, but it was a totally stupid thing that he did, and if it works then fair enough.

You really need to sit down for a serious chat, and maybe talk about ways these mishaps can be avoided.

It's hard because he's your mate.

Stevo is my lover.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Edited by David Humphries
Language

We rock up, have a walk round over a fag (efag for me) and a brew if offered, then get on with it.

We chat away, but normally about anything but work. We have breaks without ever discussing when.

When I am chatting to the customer, or he is, gear is packed up and put away where it lives.

He's broken stuff and offered to pay for it, but I've refused because it was literally an accident (silky Hayauchi blade bent by twisting limb and stuff, nothing major).

I think the wages docking is harsh, but it was a totally stupid thing that he did, and if it works then fair enough.

You really need to sit down for a serious chat, and maybe talk about ways these mishaps can be avoided.

Stevo is my lover.

very good

Kiss and make up!!

Shall I start topping all the other stuff he has broken over the years.. Blower that he ran over with the truck... Husky saw he ran over with the truck, rakes he has put through the chipper, his own phone he put through the chipper, and how about all the chains he has blunted over the years that he can't sharpen.

Yes I suppose ultimately it is all my responsibility but how can I make sure that he doesn't run over saws and blowers when I am not even there? Should I remove all responsibility from him and reduce his wages? People need to learn to respect the kit they are entrusted with and treat it like it's their own.

And you still employ him???

Stevo is my lover.

ROTFLMAO:thumbup:

Good post there Mark Bolam, i'm lucky as my groundie sounds similar to yours and just gets on with it with a good dose of common sense thrown in. Probably helps that he's mid 50's and has 'been around a while' whereas some of the younger ones are painful and do silly tings. Having said that i have worked with some teenagers and lads in their early 20's and i have more respect for them than some of the 'i have been doing this job fer the last 20 years' brigade, who assume they are 'Gods' and are invaluable.

Either way i do not believe the original poster actually deducted all the money he says he has, i tink he embellished the facts a bit to make him errr 'look good/ or seem like a hard ass boss'. Sounds to me like the groundie shud pay for the flip line and carabiner etc but not be charged for new blades or even the labour to have them flipped over. How many chances are you gonna give this groundie ?