Dangerous Agricultural / Forestry Vehicles

TRADITIONAL LOGGERS

Great bit o derailing, no ones mentioned the arable bein used to grow crops to go straight into waste digesters surely the land better used for edible crops/livestock.

WRONG ish

cheaper and better for environment to buy in food and grow energy crops.

rye,wheat,grass,maize,sugarbeet, all ideal for AD digester's.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WRONG ish

My sister lives in N Wales and recently the 'digested' AD waste was spread on the land surrounding her gaff, aside from the smell which she said made her feel sick (she's not squeamish) and her neighbours actually vomit, she said every where you looked on the fields there were thousands of dead earth worms. (I presume the process of digestion was not properly completed before emptying the silos?). Surely that's not good for the environment?

WRONG ish

That's only robing Peter to pay Paul.

Green energy is expensive and only profitable because of the feed in tarrif.

Europe tells us we must produce green energy to offset the carbon produced burning fossil fuels importing food etc.

If we taxed aviation and marine fuel (instead of subsidising it ),food would

be more expensive but we could grow more of our own.

Id have though all the more reason to agree with me! surely if people ate less meat (it was more of a premium product as opposed to a nessecity) then more value would be placed on the animal and it would be a case of farming for quality as opposed to quantity?:thumbup1:

Fair point, I only farm small scale for quality anyway, took a beast to the abbatoir on monday, only ever been grass fed and slow grown, will be hung 3 weeks aand all sold privately at a decent price.

WRONG ish

I used to work for a company that were considering AD. One of the best fuels was "chicken heads", the image of loading your AD system with chicken heads has always stayed with me.

Fair point, I only farm small scale for quality anyway, took a beast to the abbatoir on monday, only ever been grass fed and slow grown, will be hung 3 weeks aand all sold privately at a decent price.

That's the way to do it!

We get all ours from friends / neighbours. Small scale, not intensive, local, money or work in return, minimal middle men, minimal transport etc etc.

Almost sounds like a workable idea, kind of like the way it used to be - I wonder if it will ever catch on?

Great bit o derailing, no ones mentioned the arable bein used to grow crops to go straight into waste digesters surely the land better used for edible crops/livestock.

If people paid a realistic price for their food farmers wouldn't turn to feeding digesters to try and make some cash.

People prefer to pay more for bottled water than bottled milk. WTF is that about?

The Common Agricultural Policy only came about in 1962. I never knew that people in Britain were starving before that date?

If Britain never starved in 1939-45 when the U boats were sinking shipping I honestly think we wouldn't starve if they got rid of the CAP....

Remember that there are 15 million more people in the UK than there were in the 1940's and that's only going to increase. As has been said, rationing played a big part in food supplies both during and after the war.

Perhaps before this people weren't starving per se, but many lived on limited, often poor quality diets that caused nutritional deficiencies.

Imo, farming today isn't really comparable to farming in 1962. Bear in mind that then a lot of horses still worked the land, tractors were no where near the size and power of today, nor did the whole fleet get replaced every 4 years.

If people paid a realistic price for their food farmers wouldn't turn to feeding digesters to try and make some cash.

People prefer to pay more for bottled water than bottled milk. WTF is that about?

The farmers down my way who are feeding digesters are making big cash ,well enough for a local one of ours to buy a crane hire business .

Subsidies in anything be it agriculture ,power ,forestry distort markets not always for the good.

The price of milk is not driven by the end consumer joe public who probably pays his taxes some of which goes to europe who then pay subsidies but by the supermarkets who up until now have dictated a loss leading price which started from the loss of the milk marketing board and transfer to large processors .