Roundup to be banned in the UK, ?

SteveA

But were we the British Population not perhaps used to an excess population(over the natural population) of Sparrows in Urban(and other areas) simply because their natural predators had been virtually eliminated by Man?

And then use this distorted figure as our "baseline"

And now that birds of Prey, incl cough cough Sparrow Hawks , are back, nature has corrected itself?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But were we the British Population not perhaps used to an excess population(over the natural population) of Sparrows in Urban(and other areas) simply because their natural predators had been virtually eliminated by Man?

And then use this distorted figure as our "baseline"

And now that birds of Prey, incl cough cough Sparrow Hawks , are back, nature has corrected itself?

Funny how if left alone nature has a way of evening the field, however I though this thread was about that butter flavored topping one finds at Movie Theatres!

Yum, Yum:thumbup1:, Don't worry about it Monsanto will never tell:sneaky2:

easy-lift guy

And the only country to have an increase of trees entering the 21st century is.... Israel.

Based on what statistics?. Israel is less than 1/3 the size of Cuba, and how much of that is actually dedicated to tree planting?. I would say that the number of trees planted in my State of Florida entering the 21st Century was 100 times more than a country the size of Israel, of course land mass wise Florida is at least 2 1/2 times larger:thumbup1:

easy-lift guy

The amount of food needed to support a very large population of birds is proportional. Like another member stated the animals go where the food is.

John Dillinger was asked by reporters why he robbed banks and his reply was because that is where the money is kept, same principle just a different animal.

easy-lift guy

But my point is that in the sixties and seventies when we had men sweeping up there was no grain left around the yard and the bins were sealed and yet there were dozens of sparrows.

Now I am lazy and do not sweep up so much after loading and spilling small amounts of grain and I see no sparrows.

I agree with you Difflock, we were careless with DDT in the fifties and killed the hawks and magpies and crows which used to keep the small birds in check so we have this rosy view of how wonderful things were in the old days, but it was all man made. This together with ruthless game keepers who shot all the hawks, magpies and crows that were not killed by DDT. We have about ten Buzzards here, a couple of pairs of Sparrowhawks (need 2000 small birds per season per breeding pair) A pair of hobbies, the occasional Red Kite and Peregrine, Carrion Crows everywhere, Magpies also Grey Squirrels, domestic cats, Mink not surprising the small birds are under pressure.

"I don't know much about chemicals" is not such a good start to link it in an unscientific way to Parkinsons and birdsong.

Parkinsons could be linked to many other things, even sitting for too long in front of a computer screen while lack of songbirds cold be more to do with the increase in raptors and carrion crows and magpies.

When I was a child in the sixties there were song thrushes and blackbirds all over the lawns and in the eighties there were little clouds of feathers after the sparrowhawk had done its work.

In those days there were hundreds of house sparrows in the yard but today there are none. Modern chemicals you say but we are now organic and have been for over ten years. Even at double the wheat price I would not survive without HLS environmental subsidies.

But there are also no sparrows in peoples gardens in towns, where they and starlings used to be a real nuisance nesting in the roof. No chemicals there generally.

However in our local Spa supermarket car park there are hundreds of sparrows which you hear but never see because they are in a thick holly hedge, protected from the hawks.

The same thing on my morning bike ride I hear song thrushes and Mistlers singing but never see them out. Darwin theory at work here I think.

A sad truth is that DDT when it went into the eco system and killed the raptors, magpies and crows actually did a lot of good for a variety of smaller birds and what we see now is the pendulum swinging the other way before a natural balance is restored.

Ime not linking the chemicals in r/u to parkinsons unscientificly,its for all to see on wiki parkinsons page,and he does not sit at a computer if he can help it.and secondly there are no crows,magpies or other winged vermin resident, as the farm and its neighboors are fully keepered.Thanks.

Based on what statistics?. Israel is less than 1/3 the size of Cuba, and how much of that is actually dedicated to tree planting?. I would say that the number of trees planted in my State of Florida entering the 21st Century was 100 times more than a country the size of Israel, of course land mass wise Florida is at least 2 1/2 times larger:thumbup1:

easy-lift guy

Based on the statistic that they are seeing a net increase in trees growing.(I'll try and dig out the details) Totally agree Israel is a tiny country and what is more remarkable is that a fair proportion of it is desert. I don't know the statistics or ratios, I'll go back and check my source :)

• 2 years later...