Love a bit of notice...

Acg128

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not defending absenteeism(my word is my honour)but sometimes these type of threads degenerate into some kind of groundie beating exercise,i swear some of the employers on here treat their workers like some kind of lower caste.I think some of you deserve the crappier staff because of your high and mighty attutudes(im not talking about any one involved in this thread though)

Anyone agree or is it just me?

I don't think that anyone is actually being derogatory about the member of staffs position. It's irrelevant anyway, you make plans and arrangements with customers then someone doesn't turn in. Your plans go out the window, jobs that were expected to be completed aren't - going back to finish can cause financial loss due to extra travelling etc, etc etc.

It's annoying, we have a lad who misses Monday when he works the previous Saturday (extra money), so he works five days but gets paid more. He is on his final warning as there won't be any o/t if he continues.

I don't think that anyone is actually being derogatory about the member of staffs position. It's irrelevant anyway, you make plans and arrangements with customers then someone doesn't turn in. Your plans go out the window, jobs that were expected to be completed aren't - going back to finish can cause financial loss due to extra travelling etc, etc etc.

It's annoying, we have a lad who misses Monday when he works the previous Saturday (extra money), so he works five days but gets paid more. He is on his final warning as there won't be any o/t if he continues.

Nail on head pal. Arranged 2 groundies for a job other Saturday and got a text at 7 in the morning..is job still on? Me:Yes.

Groundie: Im going to be a bit late...

11am and no show and my job is f***** cos some plank cant get out of bed!!!

Im not defending absenteeism(my word is my honour)but sometimes these type of threads degenerate into some kind of groundie beating exercise,i swear some of the employers on here treat their workers like some kind of lower caste.I think some of you deserve the crappier staff because of your high and mighty attutudes(im not talking about any one involved in this thread though)

Anyone agree or is it just me?

Speaking personally, I am a free lance groundie myself and I think the behaviour in question here is very poor. If the boot was on the other foot, how pleased would the groundie be if the OP kept cancelling without notice, especially if he told the groundie that he was earning enough to sack off a day's work without caring?

'Twas ever thus, annoying, but you'll never get someone perfect on the sort of money self employed groundies get.

Some of us don't do bad. You just need to show that you give good value for the money.:001_smile:

One of my bosses used to suffer with Monday morning syndrome from quite a few of his lads, until he introduced a bonus scheme where a percentage of your wage is classed as performance related bonus that you loose for the week if you don't turn up on a Monday or a Friday, amazingly enough stopped the condition almost over night! In my opinion that said more about the quality of staff he had on for him than anything else. But definitely works

I believe that some of the national coffee / food outlets operate in this manner. It appears to work. At my daughter's workplace (an engineering company), their annual bonus is reduced if they take fag breaks, turn up late, etc.:thumbup:

I sometimes sub into local companies as a groundy. 9/10 I am the first person there, waiting at the yard gate for it to be unlocked.

In my opinion being prompt is one of the most important things. turning up on time in clean and tidy gear.

Hopefully this creates a good impression, and they will use you more- espesially as I leave the other groundies standing!! :thumbup: