RB44 project, conversion to suit my work requirements.

TotalTreeCall

Great to hear everyones thoughts on pto chippers and the RB's potential for this etc, all I know is that other people say it can be done easy enough off the gearbox to the front and/or back, and the guy who runs the Dodge50.co.uk website who also breaks and sells parts for Dodge 50s and RB's reckons that it would work fine. But like say it's really good to hear everyone elses thought on this esp the people who are doing this already! ;-)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am using the PTO on the RB to run a chipper. The one I have that came on a gearbox is made by drum, happens to be good for 40hp which is ok for a 6" chipper. The flange size is landrover so that will make an easy to get shaft to the back of the wagon , it will need a few support bearings on the way though. The other good thing about this type of pto is that you can also take off the front at the same time which will give you hydraulics via a diverter for winch and roller feeds.

Bob

imagejpg1_zps7e45f70d.jpg

Locomotors used to have two lads virtually full time in the factory from drum they used to pack the ford cargos with winches and kit for Bt I bet there is a few of these vehicles rotting somewhere full of goodies.

Locomotors used to have two lads virtually full time in the factory from drum they used to pack the ford cargos with winches and kit for Bt I bet there is a few of these vehicles rotting somewhere full of goodies.

There used to be a commercial breakers called Bennets in Crowthorne which is only a short trek from here , they always had a shed load of PTO equipment and hydraulics that were taken off airport, council , BT and other utilities vehicles. They never seemed to have a market for it so I used to by the stuff by the pallet load for peanuts. That gearbox in the pic was among the last lot I bought.

Bob

Time to get it out paying itself back, looking good, by the time you get some stickers made up it'll be 1 of your best advertising tools as well as an awesome tool :thumbup:

sent while pretending to do something important on my mobile.

nice idea to build something yourself, as earlier said it cant carry enough for the size of vehicle . I also don't see the appeal for mot exempt , it gives a chance to lapse on keeping it up together and vosa will hammer you if they pull you and its unroadworthy , id also be aware of the rules regarding red diesel . its not always as simple as what "a bloke in a pub said"

A nice conversion, I got an RB44 about a year ago to use here and there, it's got a decent tipper body and looks great. My only gripe with them is how incredibly slowly it goes up a hill, even unladen. It seems to me there'sa problem with the difference between 2nd gear and 3rd gear; as the revs drop in 3rd and you need to cvhange down the difference to 2nd is such that you're going at 15-20 mph tops. Just thought I'd put it out there incase I've a problem and others don't?? In which case, I have a problem!