RB44 project, conversion to suit my work requirements.

TotalTreeCall

I agree with that but there is a PTO gearbox that will take the hammer.

Dodge made a remote PTO gearbox that drove a hydrovane compressor big enough to run a jack hammer. It would do a small chipper easily

There's a difference between a compressor and a chipper. A friend of mine had an ex gas board version with cooking facilities and compressor built in and the compressor unloads when there's a lot of stress on it to relieve pressure on the pto. He used to use his for mobile grit blasting. Put a shear pin in the drive somewhere to protect it from over enthusiasm.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a difference between a compressor and a chipper. A friend of mine had an ex gas board version with cooking facilities and compressor built in and the compressor unloads when there's a lot of stress on it to relieve pressure on the pto. He used to use his for mobile grit blasting. Put a shear pin in the drive somewhere to protect it from over enthusiasm.

An unloader valve kicks in when the set pressure is reached, while the air supply is in use the PTO is grafting.

I have seen one running a 6 inch chipper, have you seen one that broke while running a chipper?

An unloader valve kicks in when the set pressure is reached, while the air supply is in use the PTO is grafting.

I have seen one running a 6 inch chipper, have you seen one that broke while running a chipper?

No I haven't but I don't think the one my mate had would have run a chipper for any length of time with any sympathy for the machine. The unloader cuts in at max pressure and any machinery running off the compressor can only run at the compressor's limit. I just recommended that there is a failsafe in there to protect the machine I didn't say anything doubting whether you had seen one running a 6" chipper so no need to get defensive.

would it run any pto chipper ,im thinking the fly wheel on a jensen weighs 3,times that of a tw, would theat impact on the rb ability to run it ??.

if that makes sence ?.

Nice project and the chipbox looks great , however with such a small payload it seems a bit futile . A landy would have carried more , had good resale value as you mentioned that was a big factor and probably been cheaper to run , even on white.

would it run any pto chipper ,im thinking the fly wheel on a jensen weighs 3,times that of a tw, would theat impact on the rb ability to run it ??.

if that makes sence ?.

A heavier flywheel is better at smoothing out peak loads which makes it kinder on the drive line.

I am using the PTO on the RB to run a chipper. The one I have that came on a gearbox is made by drum, happens to be good for 40hp which is ok for a 6" chipper. The flange size is landrover so that will make an easy to get shaft to the back of the wagon , it will need a few support bearings on the way though. The other good thing about this type of pto is that you can also take off the front at the same time which will give you hydraulics via a diverter for winch and roller feeds.

Bob

imagejpg1_zps7e45f70d.jpg

Edited by aspenarb

I suppose a chipper with a heavier fly would be better as smother and with the pto being driven through the gearbox as apposed direct from the engine you'll have the gears to progressively bring it up too speed. Disadvantaged is risk of overloading rear axle unless you find a trailed pto chipper.

Bob, where did you get the pto box from and is yours the 7.5 ton model or the 5.2?

Pictures?

sent while pretending to do something important on my mobile.

Nice project and the chipbox looks great , however with such a small payload it seems a bit futile . A landy would have carried more , had good resale value as you mentioned that was a big factor and probably been cheaper to run , even on white.

Thanks Billy, yeh you are probably right for most peoples needs, however, aside from the fact that I don't like landys, I also had to factor in that I have to have a lockable 'van' which can double as a chip box to accommodate all my other work needs, + a tool store for when the chip box is in use, so really my only other option was a transit or iveco, hence settling on the RB. I also used to own a Dodge 50 which was the best truck I ever owned, but with this I have the bonus of the potential for Hydrolic pto winch, log splitter etc and gearbox pto chipper, also the three point linkage on the back will be great for me as I can carry a lockable tool store on there too which can carry ride on mowers, strimmers and lots more options. so because of the range of work that I still do it will be an awesome multi tool for me once it's all up and running with far more potential than a boring old landy lol ;-) oh yeh also will be able to uprate it to 7.5 ton MAM at some point too, which will make the payload more like 3 ton so plenty for the 8 cubic meters that the chip box is ;-)

Edited by TotalTreeCall

Gray That pto in the pics runs straight off the layshaft so its got a fixed speed and only works with the box in neutral , I have got another one that interrupts the prop to the transfer box that would as you say run the gears. One of the transfer boxes on the 7.5 tonners has a pto flange very similar to the one in the pic facing backwards that was used to power a gully sucker. So there are a few options if you want to power things off the back or front of an RB.

Bob