Pricing the Job

BeanWoody

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope this makes sence the way I write it.

It's better to over price a job and not get it than underprice a job where you actually loos money, be stressed, rush, take shortcuts to save time, make a mistake, get hurt or hurt someone ells, and end up not being able to work for longer.

When you do mess up a price, and you will, we all do, just carry on like you haven't and hope a good job priced comes from someone seeing you.

As outhers have said know what you need to charge then work out what you want to charge and the right price is normally in the middle.

Best of luck with going it alone, it's hard work but worth it!

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

Sometimes take climbing kit with you if its a big job your quoting for, rather spend a few hours climbing it to get the right perspective then just looking up and badly under quoting. Lost out on a few jobs as I'd climbed it and priced accordingly, then got a call a few weeks later as the guys they'd chosen to use had balls it up, then add more for clearing up others mess.

When you do under quote, and we all have, take the experience with you the next time. Try to figure out why you under quoted, if it was outside your control then it happens, but if it was down to not having the right equipment and staff then that's what has to change for the next job.

And don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

Hope that helps mate, good luck

And don't think that just because a client tells you he has some-one to do it for 1500 when you've put in 5k that it is YOU who has overpriced the job.

Remember there are many busy fools desperate for a coin and others who may not see the same picture as you when pricing.

As a rule, if I think a 10euro Dave with a salon car and trailer can do the job I go in lower.

Same if any git/builder/gardener with a saw would have a go and fell it (tree in field for example)

Climbing work and jobs with a lot of waste (burning forbidden here) then I go in at my full rate.

Some shop at Aldi and others at Waitrose so sell your service accordingly.

Flint

Don't go in cheap!! If someone is genuine they will pay good money for a good service. It also drives the price down for everyone by going in cheap. Also sell your self and your business. Make them confident you understand the industry and the job. People do understand that price isn't everything.

Thanks for some of the tips, at the moment I was looking at having a base hourly rate, then from that an add on charge for petrol oil, time to service the saw at the end of the day that kind of thing.

It wont be the only thing I do, mainly itll be dry stone walling and the like.

Currently only have a small tree felling ticket, but hope to get the larger tickets before the business starts and will only do ground work rather than climbing (hopefully lessen insurance and not be too much competition to full tree surgeons)

Thanks for some of the tips, at the moment I was looking at having a base hourly rate, then from that an add on charge for petrol oil, time to service the saw at the end of the day that kind of thing.

Don't even think about it. Customers will think you're trying to have them over.

Your hourly rate needs to take account of fuel and maintenance time, etc.

By far the best way to make money is to charge the job at what it's worth to the customer, not by how long it will take you.

Sorry mate but this is business 101. I'm not so sure you're ready.

Currently only have a small tree felling ticket, but hope to get the larger tickets before the business starts and will only do ground work rather than climbing (hopefully lessen insurance and not be too much competition to full tree surgeons)

And with that attitude I'm not sure you're cut out for running your own show at all.

If you want to try, then to paraprase Nike, just do it. Start with a couple of low risk jobs on a weekend.

Edited by doobin

Hello,

I just received this from the wife of a potential client.

The conversation we had left me steaming mad and I am ashamed to say, affected my humour for 4 days, being the straw that broke the camels back.

Basically, they had a quote for dropping ONLY 80 lawsons but not for clearing up. Mine included the clearing but was 3 times the cost.

In order to justify the price I sent copies of other quotes and images from the jobs I posted on facebook.

Ty

"Dear Stuart

Thanks for your reply.

I am very grateful for your quote and breakdown of costs.

My husband was extremely shocked by the costs involved. And I think he regrets some of the content of the conversation you guys had.

We are considering your quote.

I also wondered if we sold the wood if costs would reduce. We dont need it.

Many thanks again,

Kind regards"