What effect would scottish independence have on the UK tree industry?

daltontrees

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would be in favour of becoming an independent republic without the monarchy and hangers-on.

it would be worth the gamble:thumbup: but thats not what the vote is for:laugh1:

scotland would also lose its higher court as with other sovereign states that is based in london and controlled by uk law:lol:

I've not read this entire thread, though quite allot of it. Got to credit it really, for a bunch of tree choppers there are some very good points here. Far more realistic and far less bs than you see elsewhere.

I was thinking about the money thing when it occurred to me that most of the times I've arrived in London with Scottish money shop keepers/bus drivers/bar renders have looked at me like I'm simple and refused my 'foreign money's so maybe that wouldn't change so much...

There really needs to be more clarity I think on the EU position, borders, currency etc. Currently it seems to add though one side dreaming, the other side talking those dreams down and nothing really being achieved.

I know some will call me an English hating fool but to me it comes down to some pretty basic feelings; I don't agree with all the wars that have been waged under the Union Jack, and I don't want nuclear weapons stored down the coast from me. It may be sort sighted but I don't think the current UK government are particularly in touch with the real world (though admittedly salmondland is pretty far fetched too), and I don't like that a crowd of lying, cheating politicians in Westminster call the shots for a place I see as being far removed from the south east, not so much physically as ideologically. I see the royal family as the nation's most successful benefits cheats (I believe they cost 31 million in tax payers money annually?). No matter how much they bring in tourism, that's 31 million for being born into the right family, which is wrong on every level.

Why would a country strive to 'hit above its weight' as some put it? And what grounds does the UK have to do so? Norway for example, I can see having reason to, but they don't really. They keep to themselves and get on with it. The UK isn't a colonial power anymore, it's a small island with very few exports, very little manufacturing and really very little going for it on an international level. It's like a potemkin economy and something HAS to change as far as I'm concerned.

Most people I know are leaning towards a yes vote, and they're not all working class/neds/racists. They're mostly good, successful people who, similar to myself and many others are thinking 'yeah, this'll bring about problems, but there'll be problems regardless, and at least we made some of these for ourselves. Perhaps we stand a chance of sorting them ourselves'

For the record I'm undecided, though I guess it's fairly clear which way I'm leaning...

The oil which is in Scotland's territorial waters will be Scotland's oil. Not too difficult to work out. Most of Europe may like to stake a claim but that would be the same as the UK staking a claim in the oil in Norway's territorial waters, not a chance. If, as it has been suggested here and other places that Scotland wouldn't be a member of the EU, there is even less of a chance that any other country would be able to access it or the fish or anything else.

At present Salmond has said he wants to be part of the EU. Salmond might not be in power as the SNP will dissolve once Independence has been reached. A new Government might wish to hold a referendum on EU membership (something you are not going to get down south in a hurry btw). Nothing is cast in concrete and many things may change over the next few years if independence is gained. Its a brand new entity and there will be opportunities to influence and make policy. I just hope it wont be the bankers and finance men who get to dictate what happens like they do down south!

Not much point in having a referendum on membership when it will be many,many years before a newly independent Scotland would even be considered for membership by the other members.

The royal family may cost 31million per year ( personally I think the figure is a little higher ) but I believe at last count they generated 1/2 a billion in tourism alone in the uk.

Exactly!!!:thumbup1:

I have no real interest in them personally, but they seem like a pretty good investment :thumbup:

The UK, it's a small island with very little going for it on an international level.

It could be argued the UK's permanent seat on the UN security council along with only four other countries - the US, China, France and Russia means it still has the potential to have a significant role in world affairs.

By voting YES to an independent Scotland you not only severely diminish Scotland's capacity to have at least some say in important world/European affairs (security/trade etc), you also threaten the UK's permanent seat on the UN security council. For people living in an independent Scotland (the UK's closest neighbour) - this scenario would be self defeating.

Scotland on it's own would have absolutely zero significance in world and European affairs. It would have less influence than the likes of Latvia and Estonia.

No one living in Scotland should take being part of the United Kingdom for granted.

Most people I know are leaning towards a yes vote, and they're not all working class/neds/racists. They're mostly good, successful people who, similar to myself and many others are thinking 'yeah, this'll bring about problems, but there'll be problems regardless, and at least we made some of these for ourselves. Perhaps we stand a chance of sorting them ourselves'

Now you see that's a pro-independence stance that's hard to disagree with. I've seen Jim Sillars interviewed a few times and he's a very engaging man, his bottom line is that he wants his country to be independant, end of.

He doesn't claim everything will be rosier, he doesn't claim that everyone will be better off, he doesn't claim everything will just fall in to place, he doesn't claim that everyone is bullying them in to remaining part of the UK, he says that people in Scotland should just decide if they want to be independant.

Anyone who votes yes on that basis, fine, it's a brave move and should be applauded as such. Anyone who votes yes however to enjoy the land of milk and honey promised by Salmond definitely deserves the massive disappointment they'll suffer when it doesn't materialise.