What effect would scottish independence have on the UK tree industry?

daltontrees

I think you will find Jonathan that westminister is committed to building type 26 ships on the Clyde for the foreseeable future, simply with the closure of Portsmouth and strength of skills on Clyde its the only place where they can be built

g

Not sure about that.

Poland?

Shipbuilding, rig building!

If they are contracted to be built there then fair enough, see out the contract!

Big j is absolutely flapping about the Indy vote, must be very worried.

No need I don't think, the people the snp are targeting don't bother voting generally

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure about that.

Poland?

Shipbuilding, rig building!

If they are contracted to be built there then fair enough, see out the contract!

Big j is absolutely flapping about the Indy vote, must be very worried.

No need I don't think, the people the snp are targeting don't bother voting generally

General chief of Staff said so.....good enough for me LOL

BBC iPlayer - Bigscreen :: The Andrew Marr Show

Westminster not so daft.......jocks work harder and for less money

General chief of Staff said so.....good enough for me LOL

BBC iPlayer - Bigscreen :: The Andrew Marr Show

Westminster not so daft.......jocks work harder and for less money

Aye than Londoners!

Polish? Don't think so myself.

Seen them here, on a wee island, building houses and 7 of them living in a caravan workin long hours, I take my hat off to them.

I think you will find Jonathan that westminister is committed to building type 26 ships on the Clyde for the foreseeable future, simply with the closure of Portsmouth and strength of skills on Clyde its the only place where they can be built

g

For the sake of the Scottish economy, let's hope so! Either way, irrespective of where the skills are, an Independent Scotland could find itself in a situation where it doesn't see defense contracts come it's way. There is nothing to stop the rest of the UK resuming naval works in Portsmouth.

Mull29 - I've never been accused of flapping before! :laugh1:

It's more just total frustration about the entire situation. Being of English origin, having lived up here for 9 years now, I have the perspective of seeing things from both sides. I wouldn't like in England again (too many people, no wilderness, frankly the central belt of Scotland is too busy) but we are all genuinely better off together. As a child growing up, being half German has made me acutely conscious and sensitive to racism, nationalism and history. Nothing good is ever achieved by holding onto the past, yet historic grievances between the Scots and English seem to be the cornerstone of the Yes Scotland campaign.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the outcome of the 18th of September, but I just find the whole build up to it simultaneously depressing and stressful! :thumbdown:

Not good news for the Scottish banking sector this morning. Not only has Standard life (asset management of £240 billion, 5000 employees, 189 years headquartered in Scotland) said it would most likely quit Scotland in the event of Independence, RBS has just posted an operating loss of £8.2 billion. Can an Independent Scotland afford this?

scotland pays £500 per head of more in tax than england but they get back an extra £1600 per head

so it is right that they pay more tax but are £1100 per person, per year better off

hence no prescription charges, no university tuition fees and free personal care for the elderly

Not good news for the Scottish banking sector this morning. Not only has Standard life (asset management of £240 billion, 5000 employees, 189 years headquartered in Scotland) said it would most likely quit Scotland in the event of Independence, RBS has just posted an operating loss of £8.2 billion. Can an Independent Scotland afford this?

Stadard Life actually said that they were making contingency plans to relocate much of their operations from Scotland if tehre was independence without monetary union. They're just saying they as investment managers need monetary stability. Duuuuh! They also said a decade ago that if Scotland got a devolved parliament they would move out. Still waiting...

RBS is owned by foreign shareholders (predominantly) and the UK government. Not particularly a scottish problem.

Whta I want to know is what will New Scotland Yard be called after inependence. Will it be forced to move to Scotland?