What effect would scottish independence have on the UK tree industry?

daltontrees

I wonder if we'll suddenly have to start paying international rates on postage to Scotland, this would certainly hurt the likes of Clark Forest, or any Scottish based mail order company for that matter. And before you scoff and say that won't happen, just look at the price different between sending something to northern ireland, or southern island.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder if we'll suddenly have to start paying international rates on postage to Scotland, this would certainly hurt the likes of Clark Forest, or any Scottish based mail order company for that matter. And before you scoff and say that won't happen, just look at the price different between sending something to northern ireland, or southern island.

It would hurt me and my business somewhat severely. I source some timber from England, but more than half of the timber I sell goes south. There is no scenario in which an international border is going to help this.

The Irish Sea might have something to do with that I'd say, not living on the mainland I know the extra costs, and we're still part of the uk as far as I'm aware!

The Irish Sea might have something to do with that I'd say, not living on the mainland I know the extra costs, and we're still part of the uk as far as I'm aware!

No, its nothing to do with the Irish Sea. Postage rates to northern ireland and UK postage rates, whereas anything to Southern ireland is considerably more. Both seperated by the same Sea last time I checked

No, its nothing to do with the Irish Sea. Postage rates to northern ireland and UK postage rates, whereas anything to Southern ireland is considerably more. Both seperated by the same Sea last time I checked

My bad! I misunderstood your post Steve, I thought you were comparing northern AND Southern Ireland to uk!

Read twice, post once!!😬

Well, it seems some people have been taken in by King Alec, I haven't met anyone who has up till now. All I can say is that all the SNP sums do not add up, they really don't.

Consider this, in an age of globalisation things get moved around to make things cheaper, departments amalgamated, regional offices moved to central locations, or even abroad. This may be a bad thing…. but its definitely cheaper….. thats why they do it.

So an indépendant scotland will have to go the opposite way. The a scottish DVLA will have to be formed, offices built, staff trained, etc. This goes for so many things. inland revenue, vosa, customs and excise, etc etc. think of all the things that are currently done by the UK as a whole that will have to be replaced. This will cost billions. Anyone who can't see that salmond is lying is a moron.

Anyone who can't see that salmond is lying is a moron.

I'd like to see that as the Better Together strap line. He is a very clever man who has a single minded determination to achieve a goal. He will do so at any expense and he know exactly what to say to which people to maximise his chances of success. Note the total lack of any credible response to the Monetary Union issue and the EU membership issue. He figures saying nothing is better than admitting you are wrong.

Well, it seems some people have been taken in by King Alec, I haven't met anyone who has up till now. All I can say is that all the SNP sums do not add up, they really don't.

Consider this, in an age of globalisation things get moved around to make things cheaper, departments amalgamated, regional offices moved to central locations, or even abroad. This may be a bad thing…. but its definitely cheaper….. thats why they do it.

So an indépendant scotland will have to go the opposite way. The a scottish DVLA will have to be formed, offices built, staff trained, etc. This goes for so many things. inland revenue, vosa, customs and excise, etc etc. think of all the things that are currently done by the UK as a whole that will have to be replaced. This will cost billions. Anyone who can't see that salmond is lying is a moron.

So cutting jobs and centralising things is good for the economy??

Yes, it's definitely cheaper!

It puts more people out of work and onto benefits and the government has to pick up the tab.