stress

Coming from a farming background I understand the feeling of being responsible can can be depressing especially working with the vargaries of the weather and product prices and Dept regs and the EEC.

However having been a member of this forum for a while now I get the impression that quite a few Arboriculturists are not exactly business minded.

Based on quite a few threads I have followed.

No sums done vis-a-vis costings or ret on investment.

Live it up when times are good and no thought for a rainy day.

Holidaying, skiiing, boozing.

Buy kit when flush and sell it when tight.

It could be the profession attracts a certain mentailty/personality type.

I dont know but that is certainly the impression I have formed.

I do not wish to offend, merely stating my preceptions, as an outsider.

Ps

As per a previous post I too suffered very badly from depression.

So anyone so afflicted has my sympathies, it is not easy, and one can NOT simply "snap" out of it.

And, yes this would be the "lowest" time of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd post to say how things have been since my last post...phoned my doc and have been referred for some cbt. Point blank refused the "chemical" solution, not my thing. Also been going Yoga for a short while now and find that's helping too! Spoke to friends and that's helped. Also just saying on here took some of the weight from my shoulders. At the end of the day I have a beautiful daughter who I want to give the best to. Not just financially but with my emotions too. I try to look at the bigger picture now. I Realised how much I love my job and all that goes with it too! It's going to be tough and there will be some down days obviously ( fuel tank fell of the truck today!) but I fixed it and its ready for tomorrow! If I can help anyone whose suffering please give me a pm. I'd like to think we can all help each other on here. I've been shown a lot of support of which I'm eternally grateful :)

i am in no way gripped by stress or depression but used to flip out (loose my rag/ throw my toys out the pram) at the smallest things and end up breaking things i was trying to fix and finding that things where never going my way.

then i found that going to bed at 9 or 9.30 has made everything better.

now if something goes wrong i think logically and think that there is always poor bugger worse of and that my problem is not all that bad.

i have a friend that was crushed by stress, he just took to much on and was burning the wick at both ends.

eventually he ended up in hospital. he is recovering now with still minor episodes. i find that after talking to him he fells much better.