stress

wish i had read this thread previously,started to but found it to heavy.

But after a week of more worrying about bills, unpaid invoices the chipper breaking and topping 65 lombardy pops when i thought there was only 40 and very nearly dieing on one i flipped on friday night and have broken up with the girlfriend.....along with other things i found my self shouting "you have no idea what ive been through this week".

now feeling worse than ever and its too late i think for hypno!

But after a week of more worrying about bills, unpaid invoices the chipper breaking and topping 65 lombardy pops when i thought there was only 40 and very nearly dieing on one i flipped on friday night and have broken up with the girlfriend.....along with other things i found my self shouting "you have no idea what ive been through this week".

bugger matty, sounds like youre having a rough old time :sad:

Seems like a beer is in order Matt, and a smoke, then make a call to the girl friend and sort it out. End of the day, its only about cutting a few trees, and most days we're on a high, so when things go pear-shaped it seems 10x worse. Beer o'clock now anyway:001_smile:

tough times matt, you have made the first step, sharing problems. when the chips are down it is easy to focus on the bad things. what i do is write stuff down, put it into black and white. make a list of all the stuff you have and put a value to it. then write another list of what you are owed. it is always buttons compared to what you have. take a day off and do some house keeping, not tidy out a cupboard but make a list of all the things that need doind, put them in order of most important. make a plan of how you are going to fix them, if its owed money, chase them up, if its fixing chippers then call for parts, see if you can get 30 days payment with them, that sorts out your cash flow. if you are going to struggle call up you the folk you owe money, be it mortgage or finance, they would much rather take a reduction in payment than have the hassle of debt collecting. as far as the girlfriend is concerned you are on your own there mate, but if you are like me in any way, when work life is sweet so is home life. talk about it with her. my reason for seeking help was because i spoke to the ones i loved too like dirt and painted on a smile for the folk i didnt care about. its never too late for help, hypno worked for me, and has helped many folk i know. but dont be scared to ask, i would spend hours looking through google for help and advice on how to sort out my crazy brain and thoughts, 60 quid to a profesional sorted it out in 90mins.:001_smile::001_cool:

Sorry to hear all that Matty, I've just gone through much the same the last twelve months and have felt that there is no light at the end of the tunnel loads of times, snap at people etc etc.

I did what Shrek has just said, wrote all my out goings and all my incomings down then prioritise them. Mortgage always comes first.

I do like this job but only when I get the pricing right, we shouldn't have to work our butts off for meagre pay. There is nothing more depressing than getting it wrong.

Hope things work out mate :001_smile:

I do like this job but only when I get the pricing right

Very true Dean!!

One of the reasons I have the gear I go is that it gets me out the **** when I under estimate the amount of chip or timber, having a good groundie who doesn't moan when we have to work later to get done, is also a great help.

Hope things look up real soon Matty, as I always say "if it wasn't for the rough the smooth would not feel so smooth":001_smile:

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time of it. I know it sounds corny but the bad times come to an end just like the good times. I know that in the times I've had the worst stress is usually in the times I've had the least money. And it feels doubley unfair when you work your nuts off and you still have no money and then something breaks/or you break something or something gets nicked.... it's that last sraw that seems to push you to the edge.

With some help from friends I've forced myself to write things down, make lists, prioritise. You can't do everything at the same time yet when you're under the most pressure you'll run around like a headless chicken doing loads and achieving nothing... at least I know I have done in the past. So now it's more about accepting I'm not going to get everything the way I want it or have the bank balance I want or equipment I want... it's a case of prioritising and working your way through that list.

Looking at this thread it does echo what I've always thought about treework. For the equipment, training, insurance and all the rest of it we really do not get paid what we should. This means we work too hard for not enough and when things go wrong there is no margin for error. What we need is for Joe public to recognise a bonafide tree surgeon who is NPTC qualified and insured, ask for proof of those things so that then we can ask for the right money to do the job = less stress. At the moment how many people ask you for actual proof of qualifications and insurance? How many people care? I'd say with me it is 0.5% (talking more about the private market here).

Money doesn't get rid of stress but lack of money certainly causes it!

One of the reasons I have the gear I go is that it gets me out the **** when I under estimate the amount of chip or timber, having a good groundie who doesn't moan when we have to work later to get done, is also a great help.

i hear you there dave, i work very local and dont even think about volume of timber or chip, i remember when i used to take stuff away with a big trailer on a jeep. if when you made a boo boo in guessing the volume it was a nightmare.