Is milling bog Oak or Bog Fir sensible

difflock

I ask since we are surrounded by peat bogs.

Some contain piles of bog Oak, some bog Fir.

These were removed during peat cutting operations or subsequent land reclamation.

Many people have attempted to cut them up for firewood and given up.

But surely if out of a bog, they should not be gritty, well unlessen the roots.

I have trysted with a neighbour for a pile of bog fir, the intention was to fish out characterful pieces for to put in the flower garden for the Mrs.

However there a couple of trunks going on 30' long, by probably 30" dia, little over the 1/2 round left mind.............but remarkably straight..........................but with a very clear to be seen sprial grain.

I fancy trying to cut them after I get my hand in cutting low value Sitka.

(After I actually purchase a bandmill btw ;D ;D)

Cheers

Marcus

Am I wise?

The only reason I queried was a post on the ForestryForum, about slabs (patties?) cut from a root or butt, complete with some included stone and clay, cut clean through.

And, as I understood, cut with a bandsaw mill.

And blunting the blade, but not trashing it beyond resharpening.

I would have thought it to be completly impractical.

m

oops

PS

This would be very well seasoned stuff that has been sitting piled up in the air, for guessing 50 years.

So anything left should be solid.

Edited by difflock

if clean and fresh..it will cut like soap, it's not the cutting that's the problem, keeping it in one piece whilst drying.....that's another issue

That seems to be the biggest issue. From what I've heard, it's spectacular when cut, but 90% is wasted in drying. It takes a very keen eye to spot logs that are likely to present fewer problems. A spiral grain log wouldn't be a good place to start.

Jonathan

I think bog oak is like walnut... is it worth what myth says?

I met someone at a show a few years ago in Wales - they had a lot of bog oak slabs - everyone was interested - very few were buying...

If for a few pieces to have as interest - def... but I suspect you will end up getting 1 cut per blade/chain.

So unless it is for the interest much better milling something easier - is my ha'penny's worth! Maybe mill a bit just to see how things go and dip your toe in rather than 'right I'm getting this lot milled no matter the cost!'

:001_smile:

The huge bog oak they milled in the fens last year seemed to go OK:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/milling-forum/48467-huge-tree-milled-fens.html

I would really like to get my hands on a small piece of bog oak, say 4ft long x 1ft dia or so, to play with milling. I reckon that would be small enough to manage the really difficult drying conditions needed and salvage a few bits at the end. I have this design of box in my head and sketched out on paper which I reckon would look fantastic made in bog oak with brown oak interior trays.

Alec