The cost of half an hour.

benedmonds

Must admit I am suprised by the short days talked about here. Domestic tree works starts at 8 and fiinishes when it finishes so perhaps it's just contracting I'm meaning; never do less than 7 til 7; in the summer it's 6 til 9; both plus evening paperwork. I used to be a late starter, struggle to get going in the morning and all that and surprise surprise never made any money; glad those days are long gone.

The lunch time is time, as above where said subby or staff can do what the heck they like; I don't think it's big to control people and say you can't go get chips etc. Mobile 'phoners wind me up proper tho - I could have deducted nearly an hour from someones pay for taking up my time like that recently, talking to there own customers arranging stuff - simply not on.

Forestry contracting is a completely different ball game. 12hr to 15hr days are the norm, the harvesters working 24hrs non stop split shifts. I cannot compare the two, having been in both they are totally different jobs. I no longer have the strength or stamina for that line of work, though I did enjoy it. Grabbing a quick bite while refuelling seems fun at the time, but soon gets old, as does waiting. To be paid on collection, 6months on. I'll leave that fun to the youngsters. :001_smile:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think competition and under pricing may be to blame here.

I price the job in days and my days are not rushed must get the job done days.

If I price two days and we get it done in a day and a half then we finish early.

As mark and Shane say, some days run over a little, some finish dead early.

If your working in the dark then you need to change the way you price jobs, they should not be rushed and should be done in a relaxed manner with plenty of time to take a breather if required.

Forestry contracting is a completely different ball game. 12hr to 15hr days are the norm, the harvesters working 24hrs non stop split shifts. I cannot compare the two, having been in both they are totally different jobs. I no longer have the strength or stamina for that line of work, though I did enjoy it. Grabbing a quick bite while refuelling seems fun at the time, but soon gets old, as does waiting. To be paid on collection, 6months on. I'll leave that fun to the youngsters. :001_smile:

Yes, I should have clarified that. I'm talking mechanised harvesting too, not those hours on a saw! :001_smile:

Our lads are in the yard by 7am and work on site till 4pm. If they are done early its back to the yard for a bit of maintenance on the kit or splitting logs. The older of the guys are always in at 6.30am and on the job for 7am. Some of the nippers dont understand that turning up half an hour late when there are four guys waiting to get going + the knock on effect of sitting in traffic is more expense than their days wages.

Bob

Our lads are in the yard by 7am and work on site till 4pm. If they are done early its back to the yard for a bit of maintenance on the kit or splitting logs. The older of the guys are always in at 6.30am and on the job for 7am. Some of the nippers dont understand that turning up half an hour late when there are four guys waiting to get going + the knock on effect of sitting in traffic is more expense than their days wages.

Bob

If anyone turned up half hour late for me and it wasn't a genuine reason they would be gone. If your working for me you turn up when asked and go home when told.

no lunch no work where i come from..

i even had a bloke from the temp agency ask me where the canteen was in the woods ffs..

its an issue .

no lunch no work is the rules here.you start 730am and finish 430pm onsite!!!...dont like it then get a job in a greasy spoon...

tree cutting is going down hill fast in england because the staff that have tickets from college are on the take and think the world owes them a living....er no...

If anyone turned up half hour late for me and it wasn't a genuine reason they would be gone. If your working for me you turn up when asked and go home when told.

yes and if they got no packed lunch then there going hungry.....anoying isnt it.

employees dont have more rights than employers just put it in there contracts,employee to provide own food and water no shops allowed.easy.:sneaky2::001_rolleyes: