Ebay troubles - a Saw I sold recently

Chris Sheppard

Update: After a long and drawn out despute ith Paypal, they sided with the buyer and the saw turned up yesterday.

Miraculously, this supposedly knackred saw fired on the second pull and started on the third :sneaky2:

It looks to have done a fair bit more work than the buyer was suggesting too so have put in an appeal to Paypal - chances are they won't listen but can only try.

Can't decide what's annoyed me most; the fact the guy's lied his arse off or that I'm back to square one and still have too many saws :lol:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had loads of trouble with people buying with cards then complaining ,

Card companies often gave them their money back BEFORE they told me

PayPal did this once too

They have learned how to " play the system " for profit

Best one I have come across

Garage in mid wales called out to holidaymaker with busted cam belt

Gave him estimate for repair

Sorry too expensive

Next day called out for RAC recovery

Pulled in car with busted cam belt and repaired ( i think guy paid for parts)

Following week complaint from RAC received

new member had complained about his service, cancelled his membership, and got his membership money back

So total cost of repair = parts

Worked for him

Thanks again fellas.

I asked him for photos of the plug colour and piston anyway, but fuel/oil is my gut feeling too.

If I had any doubts about it, I'd have listed it as spares or repair, but it ran really well.

The talk of new carb swung me a bit too - sounded like clutching at straws a bit to me.

Worst case is ebay will side with him, refund him and then I'll chuck it back on ebay in bits and put it down to experience.

What's most annoying is it's the first time I've had any bother with any of the stuff I've sold on ebay, other than an odd non payer or a couple of small things going missing.

Hi

sorry to hear your bad experience

Ebay & Paypal have a very nasty habit of siding with buyers.

I like lots of other people dont use Ebay anymore, too many scammers, sounds like he used you like a free hire company - the barsteward.

N

Edited by NFG

Just to add another perspective to this thread;

I saved hard and bought a used 550xp on ebay.

I've used it a couple of times, and now I find out that the piston is scored, I can't use it any more, and repairs could cost more than I payed for it.

Apparently this is most often caused by a bad fuel mix, but I've been careful with the fuel, so it looks like the damage was already done when I bought it.

It does start and run, so it's quite possible that the seller had no idea of the fault.

I've asked the seller to pay some of the repair costs, does that seem reasonable to you guys?

I've used it a couple of times, and now I find out that the piston is scored, I can't use it any more, and repairs could cost more than I payed for it.

Apparently this is most often caused by a bad fuel mix, but I've been careful with the fuel, so it looks like the damage was already done when I bought it.

It does start and run, so it's quite possible that the seller had no idea of the fault.

I've asked the seller to pay some of the repair costs, does that seem reasonable to you guys?

It al depends on how decent and honest the seller is! You could open a case through ebay if you believe the saw was bad when you received it.

And for another perspective, I sold a welder on eBay, it was tested before it left me and was A ok.

Buyer said it didn't work and parts were missing, he couldn't back up the missing parts and it didn't work because when he collected it he put it in his car upside down and bounced it home. He asked eBay for his money back and they said no, it's all about how you handle the dispute.

And for another perspective, I sold a welder on eBay, it was tested before it left me and was A ok.

Buyer said it didn't work and parts were missing, he couldn't back up the missing parts and it didn't work because when he collected it he put it in his car upside down and bounced it home. He asked eBay for his money back and they said no, it's all about how you handle the dispute.

Didn't you also have some trouble with a tractor on ebay?

Howdy, sadly for you if it says 'used' and 'no returns' on his ad' you've NO come back.

You likely bought it cheaper than a new one and that's the chance you take.

I've bought about 5 saws off eBay, 4 are spot on 1 was a total pig...

I don't buy anything off eBay unless it's 50% of its original value or it's value used dependent on age and condition

This time it just sounds like bad luck..

i sold a 440 on ebay that was running fine.

get a call saying it he had used it once and then it died. he sent it back.

not only was the pot and piston scored (still fired up thou when i tried it) it looked like he had been using it to cut breeze blocks. the 90% chain was nearly totaled. it took a whole lot of sharpening to bring it back.

i took the bar and chain off and sold it as spares and repairs and got the same money for it.

i prurchased a stihl blower ( ruff looking and covered in glue and paint). turned out to be a fairley new one and was initially happy with it untill i fired it up.

the sound from the engine was just like knackared dry bearings crying. sounded terrible. took it to my local dealer who gave it one pull and said it was a ticking time bomb.

opened up a case, seller said it was fine and that i had broken it refusing to refund.

when they eventually agreed to take it back they complained to ebay saying that it was not broken.

total d!£k head and to top it off i gave them negative feed back they then contacted saying that i had to change it or they were going to start some more crap up on ebay.

fingers burnt at both ends