Ebay troubles - a Saw I sold recently

Chris Sheppard

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your a private seller, and the person who bought the saw opens a dispute, ebay will freeze any money thats in your paypal account, up to and including the purchase price plus packing and postage costs and if you have withdrew any money thats not cleared into your bank account yet, they will reverse it so there is enough money left to cover the price. If that still dosnt match the amount they take it from the registered bank account or credit card.

I'd say if it doesn't work upon arrival or within a couple of days, a refund is due, but after that it's a risk you take when buying second hand.

I should have said, when he said he was chuffed with it, it was after he'd been using it.

Least if ebay look into it, they can see the email from him saying as such.

It has rattled me a bit though as have a couple more saws that were going to go on there this winter too.

Sounds familiar with all the bits i buy and sell.

As a buyer i take a risk an most of the time come away happy. But most ebayers put sold as seen so its a risk to the buyer.

As a seller i do everything i can to cover my back. Pics, video, description. And ALWAYS collection only so that i can show them it running etc.

Once gone i take no further responsibilities for its use.

I do draw the line at selling to minors as i don't want the guilt of causing accidents from unfamiliar users

From your side, your defence should be: -

1) He said he was happy with it AFTER using it so it was running (I like Ray, always do vids as it stops any claim that it doesn't run)

2) He may have used neat petrol in it

3) He may have not mixed the oil and petrol properly

4) he may have adjusted the carb H screws

5) He may have put the fuel in the tank and then oil and shaken it - not too well

6) He may have used low grade two stroke oil

7) He may have had a bad batch of pump petrol.

8) The fuel may have had an ingress of water/fine wood dust/diesel etc in it

None of this is your issue, if there is an inquest, point out you are a professional Arborist and that the saw had been used for hours before selling and the only logical explanation is one of the above - all not your problem.

The dealer changing the carb is IMO very dubious, I have only taken a carb off a machine once and that had been araldited around the low speed injectors so was Fubar. Why change the carb??? sounds like he doesn't know what he is up to IMO.

Most of the saws that I have had in have seized due to old fuel or no oil, a few down to an air leak and some down to bad carb adjustment - one or two for no apparent reason.

Good luck with it, Ebay does sway with the purchaser but the fact he was happy with it will help - probably a two stroke mix issue.

I should have said, when he said he was chuffed with it, it was after he'd been using it.

Least if ebay look into it, they can see the email from him saying as such.

It has rattled me a bit though as have a couple more saws that were going to go on there this winter too.

Ebay = waste of time imo

Easier and less hassle to leave them on the bench unfortunatly

I'd bet my boots hes lent it to a mate whose neat fueled it, then returned it as its stopped working. Then its been taken to a shop to see how much it is to repair. Stunned and shocked at the cost the've decided to try and get you to pay for it.

Thanks again fellas.

I asked him for photos of the plug colour and piston anyway, but fuel/oil is my gut feeling too.

If I had any doubts about it, I'd have listed it as spares or repair, but it ran really well.

The talk of new carb swung me a bit too - sounded like clutching at straws a bit to me.

Worst case is ebay will side with him, refund him and then I'll chuck it back on ebay in bits and put it down to experience.

What's most annoying is it's the first time I've had any bother with any of the stuff I've sold on ebay, other than an odd non payer or a couple of small things going missing.