bowl turning thread

se7enthdevil

My first serious attempt at a bowl. I need to learn how to sharpen my tools better. Still, I learnt alot and had fun doing it.

nice for a first attempt mate.

if you are after some help then i am only at J7 of the M4. you are welcome to come and play.

Thanks :) Its alder. I had planned to use wood I'd cut myself or salvaged but I'm too impatient to season it!!! I ordered a box of bowl blanks, mostly alder some sycamore and one lime. It came to £20 delivered with eleven blanks 4" which seemed reasonable to get me started.

Hi guys I have not done any turning but just got a lathe so lokking for some advise on chisels and preparing blanks I have a whole plum tree so do I just cut a nice bit peel the bark seal the ends a leave it like I would a milled board

Thanks Mark

Hi guys I have not done any turning but just got a lathe so lokking for some advise on chisels and preparing blanks I have a whole plum tree so do I just cut a nice bit peel the bark seal the ends a leave it like I would a milled board

Thanks Mark

Buy the best quality tools you can afford, I use almost exclusively Robert Sorby. You only need a basic set to get going but make sure they are quality, and a sharpening system to. Have a look on the AWGB web site its full of great advice. Also you Tube has some good videos try Lyle JAMIESON he is one of my favorites.

Fruit wood is great to turn, I turn most things green to finished size then leave to dry, the thin walls will warp but it adds to the design, but fruit wood is a pig for splitting.

Try and find a reputable local turner to visit, we are a friendly bunch.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the shed today. Really pleased with how this turned out. Just for the finish I've got compared to previous attempts, although it might be down to the wood which just seemed to be a real treat to turn. It was cut a couple of month ago and is still very green

95071d8bbeeae132a12b081e7af842c2.jpge5103fff698ff2e4181af34a7c0e6ac4.jpg

I think it could do with another coat of oil though. It's just over 6" in diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yew dose turn really well looks good but won't it warp out of shape as it's drying with it still being wet?

Iv only turned green wood oversize (10% wall of diameter) about 1" then dryer it out were it has gone ovel twisted etc then returned it to its final shape etc.