Your Bedtime Reading?

SteveA

I intend getting tree climbers companion. Trouble is I've read alot of tree books, at least the stuff Im interested in. Recently I have diversed in to fiction. Which I normally don't read and have read a few star wars novels:blushing: I can recommend some of them if anyone is interested. Next I will be reading on the long flight to NZ

DISTURBING THE UNIVERSE by Freeman Dyson and

SURELY YOUR JOKING MR FEYNMAN and

WHAT DO YOU CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK again about Richard P Feynman a brilliant scientist that didn't conform just to please others. I enjoyed his THE PLEASURE OF FINDING THINGS OUT.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big thumbs up for anything to do with Richard Feynmann. I can highly recommend the 'No Ordinary Genius' documentary about him on Youtube. Also the 'Fun to Imagine' series of videos where he talks about some interesting topics. In one he talks about imagining the process of energy being created in the sun then travelling all the way to earth then being absorbed by a leaf and stored in the wood then released again when it is burnt. Interesting to think that when you sit in front of a coal fire you're enjoying sunlight that has been stored for millions of years. There's another one where he talks about what keeps a train on the tracks - hint: it's not the flanges on the wheels...

His books 'Six Easy Pieces' and 'Six Not So Easy Pieces' are really good.

Also while I'm wittering on about off topic Youtube videos, check out some of the Carl Sagan ones especially the one where he talks about the famous photo of Earth as just a 'pale blue dot' from the outskirts of the solar system

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9TIeuBF9Ss&list=SP73E5E40315EA40FE&index=10]You Are Here: Carl Sagan on the pale blue dot photo [Carl Sagan Tribute Series] - YouTube[/ame]

Only slightly off topic because I love listening to these at bedtime, looking out of the velux at the stars..

The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett, other half buys me a few Pratchetts for birthday and xmas so keeps me going, nice break from reality too :laugh1:

You can't beat pratchett for getting away from everything. I love reading his stuff, I think monstrous regiment is my favourite. I always seem to read hog father before Christmas gets me in the mood for it !

I'll have to get on to East of Eden next. Finished Grapes of Wrath a while ago and it was brilliant.

Currently reading 'Two Years Before The Mast' by R.H. Dana. It's an account of his time serving as a merchant seaman on a sailing ship in the 1830s. It's absolutely amazing!

Also, Tree Climber's Guide and the Collins book by the bog :)

I read "The Last Grain Race" by Eric Newby on holiday this summer and can highly recommend it. It is about his time crewing a four masted barque on the grain routes between Australia and Europe just before the outbreak of World War II. Very funny and very poignant description of the last days of crewing tall ships. Also, check out Newby's bio - there's one very interesting guy who's seen a bit of the world.