joe public walking into cordoned off areas

d-raittuk

Always been a massive problem when working over footpaths.

People just push themselves and prams and young kids through, over, under, tape, cones and barriers because they walk that route everyday!

We just never rely on joe public to actually stop and walk around or stop and wait for assistance and always have to look out for them.

Have had a few people complain that they are getting covered in sawdust while standing by the drop zone after pushing some cones out of the way to get there!:laugh1:

I do wonder how many utilities lads turn around to find pedestrians blocking up their trenches :laugh1:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years back I was closing off an old footbridge, most of the timber was missing , what was there was dodgy .

We were just finishing putting the sign up, when a lady in crutches appeared, we chatted about the bridge needing fixed, etc etc, then she said bye and started across the bridge, I said what are you going?

She looked at me with a look that only a rambler with rights can give, laughed and hobbled over the dodgy bridge.

By the end of the day the sign , tape and wired on pallets were in the river!

I flattened a post man a few months ago he'd come through multiple taped barriers, blockades and a ridiculous amount of signs

interfering with the royal mail is a criminal offense, even the police have limited powers with them. (now its not royal mail) in years gone by it was a hanging offense

Postmen are one of the worst offenders,they will go through hell or high water to get that letter into the letterbox.They seldom wait,more often they come walking through when you're back is turned,completely unconcerned about sawdust,dropping topwood,or whole trees coming over.

up here posties must be more sensible :biggrin:, haven't seen one yet that hadn't waited till we said ok come through :thumbup1:

the other one that gets me boiling is people who try to drive round you when you have a stop/go board :sneaky2::sneaky2: I've had one go to overtake the four cars already waiting I stood infront of him and let the all others go first :lol: another idiot just accelerated round me almost took out a guy on a bike! he almost got the board through his back window!

Edited by fergusonforestry

You'd think having an angry arborist and/or groundy waving various implements of mass destruction (chainsaws etc) at them would be sufficient to keep people out of a cordoned area but no. We've tried chucking bits of wood at people but that hasn't worked either. Mind you, when one yells BELOW and the groundies scarper, usually the person walking through the cordon realises they might be in trouble.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

The only other thing I can think of to 'discourage' and make safe those who insist on coming through is a hand held air horn - operated by the head groundie!

The procedure, purely on safety grounds, would be to give a blast as close to the transgressor as possible. This extremely loud noise will be heard by the climber (even above the chainsaw noise) so he will know to stop cutting - and will even know where the danger is.

Thie would only ever be on the grounds of safe working practices and NEVER to cause any discomfort/embarrassement to the person ignoring other warnings.

It can even be part of your actions on the risk assessment!

The only down side I can see is that the person may need a change of underwear, but as long as our documented procedure is to make their safety paramount I guess any court of law would consider that you did all you can and the act was not malicious.

I'm off to get one on Monday.