joe public walking into cordoned off areas

d-raittuk

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha that reminds me of a group that came into where we were working all 'we have a right to go anywhere anytime' I was in the middle of giving him an earful about the fact that regardless who or what he was he wasn't going anywhere till the guy up the tree said otherwise his mates turned round and cycled away leaving him there somewhat deflated when he noticed :lol::lol:

The only other thing I can think of to 'discourage' and make safe those who insist on coming through is a hand held air horn - operated by the head groundie!

The procedure, purely on safety grounds, would be to give a blast as close to the transgressor as possible. This extremely loud noise will be heard by the climber (even above the chainsaw noise) so he will know to stop cutting - and will even know where the danger is.

Thie would only ever be on the grounds of safe working practices and NEVER to cause any discomfort/embarrassement to the person ignoring other warnings.

It can even be part of your actions on the risk assessment!

The only down side I can see is that the person may need a change of underwear, but as long as our documented procedure is to make their safety paramount I guess any court of law would consider that you did all you can and the act was not malicious.

I'm off to get one on Monday.

Like that Shane.

Rambers are idiots who think the countryside is there for their sole benefit, and any blocked paths are an opportunity to exercise their rights.

Bit of a sweeping statement. Ramblers are often the only people who will fight to keep rights of way open when land owners like the charming van Hoogstraaten try to block them. :001_smile:

ok been doing a lot of street trees last few months. plenty of chapter 8 action signs for signs and all that. 3 on the ground 1 in the tree. 2 working with the climber and one floating between controlling traffic on the occasions that a car might need stopping while we drop a limb (80% lowing kit) then move it off the road same goes on the pavement however the pavement is closed 5m /10m stretch at a time permission is granted for the work. yet some people are just totally ignoring signs and instructions to please go round. we had one couple walk into the drop zone with a dog climb over branches and saws and under the tape on the other side. :thumbup: :thumbup: does my nut right in apart from grabbing them and dragging them out or having a bloody door man at each end what to do like lol.

so whos got some tricks of the trade to share ? and share your stores of people just not giving a toss should bring up some funny ones :laugh1:

"...and under the tape on the other side."

Is tape the most appropriate method, is it adequate? Doesn't sound like it. Perhaps you need to review your risk assessment and improve / upgrade the barrier method, i.e. proper highway barriers as the utilities use. OR assign an additional 'banksman' to the task.

OR...go work in the park, much nicer:biggrin:

Cheers..

Paul

PS Sorry, I do acknowledge that you cannot account for stupidity but in this day and age you have to being doing as much as you reasonably can and perhaps tape doesn't meet that standard.