Left handers?

s.varty

One of my brothers is left handed. He writes, plays golf and eats left handed. Yet he used to play cricket and squash with his right hand.:confused1:

My dad is the same. He was a right handed fast bowler for years, he he batted left hand. He plays golf left handed, to quite a high standard.

Yet he writes, shoots and used to play squash right handed.

Whereas my old dear was such a cuddy-wifter she needed a left handed tin opener and sciscors. Yet she played golf right handed.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad is the same. He was a right handed fast bowler for years, he he batted left hand. He plays golf left handed, to quite a high standard.

Yet he writes, shoots and used to play squash right handed.

Whereas my old dear was such a cuddy-wifter she needed a left handed tin opener and sciscors. Yet she played golf right handed.

Not sure what a cuddy-wifter is, yet it still made me smile.:biggrin:

Cuddy-wifter or cack handed is meaning 'very left handed'

Not sure where the cuddy term comes from but we used it up north when i was growing up.

Cack handed comes from using the left to wipe ones harris, where as you use the right to eat with. Still a tradition in places such as Thailand.

Edit: Taken from the 'left handers club' news letter.

"Cuddy Wifter" is an old English slang term for Left Handed. LHC newsletter editor Keith was on a golf tour recently and his official tour name (allocated by the other players) was set as Cuddy Wifter so now he is commonly known at the golf club as "Cuddy". The name was actually started by a man from London's East End who said it was an old Cockney word for lefthander. Here is what we have found out about this term:

According to the BBC website, it comes from Northumbria

It was used in the chorus line of Ian Radburn's song "Lefties Lament", as - "We're the Cuddy Wifter Winners, we're the LEFTIES". If you have not heard the song you can see the lyrics and hear Ian performing it here

The term was recorded in Hansard, the record of UK parliamentary business, when used by Peter Luff MP when supporting the Left Handers Club in promoting equal treatment for lefthanders (Peter Luff is a lefthander himself and an Honorary Member of the Left Handers Club)

One forum correpondent reports: In my school days 1950s a cuddy wifter was a stunning punch with the left fist.

- See more at: http://www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk/newsletters/201105-2.html#sthash.4OKHQaq3.dpuf

Edited by Rich Rule

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous. I injured my right shoulder a long time ago and had to do most things left handed, brushing teeth and wiping were among them and they took some getting used to. I don't understand how anyone could use a rear handle chainsaw left handed though, they just don't work that way for me but using a top handle one handed (I've seen it done in videos) it would probably not make any difference.

I'm left handed and left footed but do everything else right handed, my dad's the opposite. Although being a lefty I was recently informed the correct terminology is right dominant:sneaky2:

In the middle ages a leftie was known as "sinister" - not a compliment I am led to believe