Hawthorn prick

Dean Lofthouse

My turn !!!!

Using a Hawthorn as an anchor for my Tirfor (no other choice) to pull out a hedge row, which worked very well, except for just about at the end of the day managed to imbed a Hawthorn thorn right through my glove and into my knuckle while moving the Tirfor handle back and forth.

I am sure I could feel the dam thing scraping against my knuckle bone, pulled it out, and 24 hours later still sore and now swollen.

Going to give it another 24 hours to see if it gets worse, if it does guess I'll drop into A&E tomorrow to get some antibiotics.

had the exact same thing into my knuckle, had it xrayed but they couldnt see it, had to take a few different courses of antibiotics ( finish the course! i didnt and it bit me on the arse or finger in this case)

weeks and weeks later i got the thorn out, not in the place where it went in though, real nuisance and lost a few days of work too.

hope you get it sorted.

carl

Threads need pics....

Was dropping some connies one day so no Ripeur 2's on....but some utility cutter had thrown a bit of Hawthorn up against the stem which I threw out of the way - raining, making the job happen in one day not a second etc. Didn't notice the thorn go in just the blood and pain a bit later.

Thought nothing of it until the finger started swelling a bit more than normal that night.

010.jpg.060ee22c85235b04a4e15f527b950ce9.jpg

The next day I couldn't push the trolley round Tesco and had to give in - I'm not one to go to the Docs or Hospital but I was in so much pain I wanted an x-ray for re-assurance and some antibiotics and on my way.

Nooo... you're going straight to theatre son...

013.jpg.4274e67953e3fb5c0a049e8e73274618.jpg

That red vee is septicemia and it's next stopping point is your elbow. Operation or lose half your arm.

Problem is that the thorn had punctured the tendon sheath. There is no blood flow through the tendon sheath, it is fed by snorkels, without blood flow you can't flush out an infection.

014.jpg.3a0c046bed1f36031e8bcf29ed8d7d83.jpg

As an infected site is acidic a local anaesthetic won't take so it was a general there and then. Count to ten and wake up on the ward looking like a proper girly.

019.jpg.704b9ede3c94abdf2e4bfa39c176ad01.jpg

They cut a vee either side of the point of entry and flush it through with a syringe, put you in a cast and check a few days later to see if it needs doing again, if not back in a week for stitches out and two months physio until you can climb again.

022.jpg.8ac2f7272dff0fc9287357f64fa3d625.jpg

Can't understand though curry, rice and potato croquettes?

023.jpg.9931ebbc29eac49c8ff69d4414d181e8.jpg

But hospital grub is on the up and was gratefully received.

Antibiotics washed down with the usual followed by the physio and back to it.

024.jpg.e57299e0a85aae72d0218d0cc015722a.jpg

Don't eff about with thorn......:thumbup1:

Regards,

Steve.

Edited by Arbtech Tree Services

Ended up in a & e with a infection tracking up my arm from the tiniest blackthorn in my hand, dock took 1 look and into a side room, 2 massive injections of antibiotics a hand full of pills and 10 min observations for a few hrs to make sure it didn't make it to the glands near my armpit.

Was strange as kept getting massive spots in random places on my arm for about 2 weeks after and needed a second lot of pills for a secondary infection in my skin.

Think over the years I've seen more working days lost to little thorns resulting in infection than any other form of injury.

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app

• 1 year later...