Why go abroad

Dean Lofthouse

Ok. So it just must be me then. I hate travelling. Hate planes.

Not narrow minded, just don't like it. Headaches and all. Holidays are always near by. Well not many miles away anyway. In uk. Next year is travelling to Cornwall, and up and back through Somerset. Then home.

If I get a caravan sorted by then that is.

Quite right- its not compulsory to have to go abroad in order to have a holiday. Also a vast majority will go abroad just to do all the things that could be done at home anyway- sit by a pool- go to a bar with other English folk- go to the beach etc. a lot of them certainly aren't culture vultures and would probably do just as well if they saved themselves of the hassle and expense of it and made the best of what Britain can offer (particularly in weather like this.

Agreed though last year when it seemed to rain most of the summer I tried a holiday in Scotland and to be fair it wasn't the best, nothing to do with Scotland, beautifull place but I like camping and it was a bit wet and miserable for that.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You live in Dover! I'm closer to you than Cornwall:001_smile:

Yeah I also need to renew my passport aswell. And hat costs a small fortune aswell....:biggrin:

I was going to do a trip around and see who on arbtalk is about when I go. Meet a few faces over a pint :thumbup:

Next year I'm booking holidays up and just going. Working hard is putting a bit of stress on family life at the mo. boy is growing up fast and really don't want to miss doing anything fun with him until its too late.

I had great memories of Cornwall and the fresh milk every morning straight from the tank. And playing in that scenery and the great outdoors.

Yeah I also need to renew my passport aswell. And hat costs a small fortune aswell....:biggrin:

I was going to do a trip around and see who on arbtalk is about when I go. Meet a few faces over a pint :thumbup:

Next year I'm booking holidays up and just going. Working hard is putting a bit of stress on family life at the mo. boy is growing up fast and really don't want to miss doing anything fun with him until its too late.

I had great memories of Cornwall and the fresh milk every morning straight from the tank. And playing in that scenery and the great outdoors.

Always amazes me the number of people in Dover and Folkestone who don't have passports Rich.

Roughly £7 a year plus a tesco clubcard eurotunnel trip or footie to calais or boulogne. Well worth it. Probably cost you as much as getting as far as Stonehenge on your Cornwall trip. The French do it differently and it is obvious from even that 22 mile trip. Admitted the duty free thing doesn't work as well as it used to though the P&O boats do a roaring trade so there must be some savings. They certainly selling a lot of beer to the Aussies this week.:001_smile:

Funnily enough, we're off to Yorkshire for a week this year - Whitby, then a week in Norfolk.

While the children are small they just want to enjoy the beach, and our younger daughter doesn't travel well (third summer holiday with her and the first time we're chancing further than Norfolk). I really wouldn't want to inflict them on people on a plane! There's also the grief of sorting them out on passports that I can do without.

Thinking about Sussex/Hampshire either next year or the year after. Bodiam, Arundel, Amberley Chalk Pits and the Weald & Downland Museum, which has a huge range of activities and short courses. Plus a sandy beach and there's nothing more you could want.

Alec