Chainsaw update training to become mandatory for all operatives from Oct 2013

PhilBeech

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is an easy way to make this go away, but it needs folk to stick together, simply blacklist any company that starts calling for FISA rules, if a company is looking for someone to fell a stand and all they get back is "sorry, we dont work for anyone who forces FISA on us" the message will soon get out, why should a group of individuals and a few big concerns be able to dictate what everyone else has to do in an industry, there is always a few who will see a way to force there ideas through by bully boy tacticts, but if people stand up to them, they will back down. if the industry does not start to stand up and be counted its going to get worse, very soon youll need a ticket just to look at a tree and sombody is going to get very rich doing f**k all but writing bits of paper, look at the construction industry, they dont even accept each others certs any more

there is an easy way to make this go away, but it needs folk to stick together, simply blacklist any company that starts calling for FISA rules, if a company is looking for someone to fell a stand and all they get back is "sorry, we dont work for anyone who forces FISA on us" the message will soon get out, why should a group of individuals and a few big concerns be able to dictate what everyone else has to do in an industry, there is always a few who will see a way to force there ideas through by bully boy tacticts, but if people stand up to them, they will back down. if the industry does not start to stand up and be counted its going to get worse, very soon youll need a ticket just to look at a tree and sombody is going to get very rich doing f**k all but writing bits of paper, look at the construction industry, they dont even accept each others certs any more

Tell me about it- if any of you are with constructionline you'll know the hoops you have to jump through.

Tell me about it- if any of you are with constructionline you'll know the hoops you have to jump through.

Yep that's why when my cpcs Certs needed refreshing I'm not bothering, too much hassle. They make it is hard and I've seen very very good operators out of work due to the stress of the hoops. :thumbdown::thumbdown:

Unless the courses and all the administration needed to make this happen is FREE, it has everything to do with additional spending and possible waste of funds. IMHO the UK is the most heavily regulated and taxed country in the Western world, although some folks in power over here can't seem to tax enough, thats another thread:sneaky2:. Having additional regulation and over lapping more rules and regs over and over is pretty much insane, and use less to boot!

easy-lift guy

Do you have any credible source for that claim, or is it something you just make up for the occasion?

United Kingdom is FAR FROM being the most heavily taxed country Tax rates of Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and w.r.t. regulations, please provinde a source for that claim.

Do you have any credible source for that claim, or is it something you just make up for the occasion?

United Kingdom is FAR FROM being the most heavily taxed country Tax rates of Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and w.r.t. regulations, please provinde a source for that claim.

A Fair point & well presented

PLEASE THIS IS NOT A HIT AT THE HARD WORKING SKILLED WORKERS ON THIS FORUM

I would agree if you guys hold the line ya will make them listen.

I am no fan of unions but in this case some form of banding together will do y'all good

I really think this is a form of discrimination and should be viewed as that .....I'd guess is there not some form of - I cringe at saying this - Human rights infringement.

I guess really what I'm gonna say now y'all might say we know that and he just being a smart ass but I'll say it any way lol........as even tho I fall elsewhere I'm still a Scot and don't like the idea of folks livlihoods being squeezed even more than they already are.

Right .........I've falled a hell of a lot of timber and I'd much rather be in softwood stands than hardwood. I'm saying this from experience, not being a smart ass. As y'all will know and have seen daily most commercial softwood is straight (lets leave out leaners for the moment) and usually doesn't have split leaders and large topwood causing falling concerns. Yes there are other concerns - crossing the lead, leaners and busted out tops - but none that would really cause really major headaches. Ok leaners well frankly they a p i a be they soft or hard. Of the little I know of falling here and the guys I've spoken to on here y'all are more than competent and have the knowledge and ability to fall them. That is not a patronizing statement it is a compliment...... Ok y'all aren't taught the tricks I have been taught - dutchmen, coos bay, siswheel, blocked or jacked (I may be wrong so bear with me)- which I think is not only short sighted but just plain nuts as it would increase safety not decrease it, but I am positive y'all do have your methods of dealing with things and I love hearing bout them as I learn (thanks Eddy T you explained something to me yesterday that I will try and use).

Now all that said (powers that be if your reading this please take note as I'm gonna give y'all a lesson here -for free unlike what y'all want these guys to pay for- and a small heads up before y'all bring or try to bring in things that are just total nuts.

Y'all paying attention now seated comfortably (yep on ya rears) (not referring to the hard working folks on here or the skilled folks that make their living in the woods)

Ok look you great dorks falling hardwoods takes A LOT more skill and thought than falling Softwood as hardwoods have a very nasty habit of growing every which way but straight with twisted bent cracked and generally awkward stems that lean on the head on the side on the back and more often than not all of the aforesaid. It takes a shed load more skill and thought to land safely one of those sods than a commercial softwood (and beforeb you go there I'm not talking bout huge hardwoods little ones can cause just as much hassle as their big counter parts do!!!!!!!!!) you more often than not have to use every ounce of skill and knowledge in your bag to counter act and overcome safely all the factors that are against the stick landing safely. Generally (ok there are always exceptions) softwoods do not pose those same problems.

Ok now still paying attention and not consulting ya mounds of paper to disprove what I said (I'd love ya to actually try and would be more than delighted to argue the toss with y'all -not on here- and even prove what I say and if necessary on trees in my own ground).

Right you use the same across the board techniques on hardwood as on soft and only want to regulate fallers on softwood then your gonna get some one hurt and hammering the professional loggers is just not only wrong but is discriminating!!! Saying it won't refer to hardwood stands is not just laughable it is not just discriminating it is not just fundamentally wrong .......IT IS DOWNRIGHT FREAKING DANGEROUS.

Last rant now

For the love of the industry and all that is right and good will you powers that be please take the shackles of the guys who are skilled and do this dangerous job for a living and let them pass on their skills, knowledge and wisdom. Stop shackling them to teaching what you guys think is best........just cause some paper exercise says so or some person has marketed it as "THE WAY" the guys who work in the industry do know what works......they do it to earn their daily bread.

You will improve skill levels and thereby safety levels but taking a level approach not by discriminating and demonizing or pushing paper.

Also pay a fair wage to the guys working (yep spure pirate you have a very good point and idea there buddy).

To all fallers and brethern woods workers out there stay safe brothers stick together and keep cutting you guys are the salt of the earth fully skilled and without y'all so much folks take for granted would not be possible (just think no falling trees..........plastic toilet paper)

Here endeth the lesson lol

This post is in no way shape or form a hit at the skilled and hard working folks on here it is a hit at the powers that be and I make no apologies for this if it gets me banned so be it ........it is not all knowing nor may be well put - as I work for my daily bread - as writing is not my strong point

I am no fan of unions but in this case some form of banding together will do y'all good

Craobh,

most people who use this forum dont have a problem with training in general, they just feel that we've reached a point where the amount of courses required is not only excessive but financially difficult to maintain, especially in the current economic climate.

'refresher courses for experienced users' being the final insult to injury

Whoever came up with this 'refresher training for experienced users', if you're out there I have just one question for you

JUST HOW MUCH MORE STUPID CAN YOU BE?

Craobh,

most people who use this forum dont have a problem with training in general, they just feel that we've reached a point where the amount of courses required is not only excessive but financially difficult to maintain, especially in the current economic climate.

'refresher courses for experienced users' being the final insult to injury

Whoever came up with this 'refresher training for experienced users', if you're out there I have just one question for you

JUST HOW MUCH MORE STUPID CAN YOU BE? .

:thumbup: