Chainsaw update training to become mandatory for all operatives from Oct 2013

PhilBeech

Maybe if certificates weren't just handed out like sweeties in the first place refresher training wouldn't be deemed necessary?

Agreed. And maybe if the certificats concentrated more on actual chainsaw and felling safety and less on which permission you needed from the council, which birds you need to look for, etc they would be more effective.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, this seems fair Arb and Forestry work is one of the most highly dangerous jobs in the world and if I am honest NPTC/LANTRA are easy passes.

The main problem i can see is that people think "yes I can do this job" when actually there not even remotely aware of the dangers involved and the level of awareness, may be people should say "Actually may be this is the wrong job for me"?

It's down to professional commitment and high level of standards from the operator.

This is a very touchy subject.

My solution on a personal level is that I would never work with any one who is not safe and I would tell them so.

I am not before ya read further calling folks ability on here into question nor demeaning any one on here

Can I ask you guys something please........What is all this talk of certificates and refresher training. I ask this because, I stuck my nose into a course It will remain nameless etc. I didn't see the maintenance part (think thats what it's called) but I did see the felling part. The safety angle was good (but I do think and would hope anyone working in the woods would be switched on any way) but and I am making no apologies here the cutting techs and procedure was the biggest load of bollocks I have ever seen. If the powers that be here really think that they are going to improve safety in the woods by teaching that then I really do worry for the industry and if that's what they are expecting you guys to refresh on so help me you guys are in deep brown stuff. I know kids that no more than that and the instructor well I'd send him down the hill with his ass on fire if he ever tried that crap cutting near me.

It is the Swedish dance they are teaching and honestly that is the biggest load of crap it is a money making scheme no more.

So help me how the hell are they expecting guys that do that crud to go out and fell for a living........................So help me they'll either get killed or they'll take so freaking long to get a stick on the floor they'll get fired.

\Safety comes not from a course or some one preaching the gospel ........it comes from experience, common sense and time spent with a faller. Are the powers that be here totally brain dead???

I'd love to seethat freaking instructor actually fall something of a decent size or with a head and side lean crossing the lead .........cause if he had said to me to be a safe distance I'd have booked a freaking plane to Moscow cause I wouldn't want to be any closer .........good grief do you guys actually have any instructors that actually can fall things and have falled commercially??? cause on what I saw I'd have my severe doubts.

The only way that things will improve is if folks are given basics then they taught on the job by guys who actually know not think they know cause a piece of paper says so.

So help me I'd have stomped that guys ass if I'd actually been a student (I was considering it but not now no freaking way I'd really rather stay alive)

sorry for the rant and guys I am not calling any of you experienced guys ability into question in any way.

As said before: HSE are concerned about the high accident rate in forestry and have decreed that the industry must sort it out or they will step in. The industry bigwigs have got together and come up with FISA to try and improve our safety record.

They are trying to achieve a reduction in accidents. It appears that refresher training has worked in other industries (I think, but I'm willing to be corrected) and so it is firmly on the cards for us. I will need to read the proposals further before deciding if it is any way meaningful refresher training. A series of tick boxes will do very little to actually improve safety. Refresher might be the best option, at one time re-certification was talked about, although this might also have some merit in weeding out truly poor operators.

Well said. However it will be the implementation that makes it sink or swim.

A comparison;

Over a 5 year period a class 1 driver has to have a minimum of 37hours tuition. The BS is getting universal

Who though is this aimed at? Those who work in the woods week in, week out ? or those who are deemed occasional users. The ones that pick up a saw every year or so & retain little of the knowledge of running & maintaining a saw. The latter I think

Edited by Pete Mctree

Ok, this seems fair Arb and Forestry work is one of the most highly dangerous jobs in the world and if I am honest NPTC/LANTRA are easy passes.

The main problem i can see is that people think "yes I can do this job" when actually there not even remotely aware of the dangers involved and the level of awareness, may be people should say "Actually may be this is the wrong job for me"?

It's down to professional commitment and high level of standards from the operator.

This is a very touchy subject.

My solution on a personal level is that I would never work with any one who is not safe and I would tell them so.

Working in the woods has and will always remain dangerous

I agree it is down to professionalism etc but it is also down to who is teaching are they or have they got the necessary to actually impart knowledge or did they learn it on a course sitting on their rears???

Oh I have on several occasions sent folks down the hill cause they weren't safe and have left with blue air behind them and on one occasion my caulk in their ass

I really feel the best way teach on the job with a young gun as a second faller then he/she learns using what was bestowed on them at birth.......2 eyes and 2 ears but only one mouth.

Tickets they mean jack in the woods They only mean something to the companies that provide them and the insurance companies I'd rather fall with a guy who been doing it than one who has his tickets as within a few mins I'll tell if he can walk the walk

A comparison;

Over a 5 year period a class 1 driver has to have a minimum of 37hours tuition. The BS is getting universal

I'd agree with ya there cause after 5 years if ya can't do it and aren't dead then a change of career might be an option rather than refresher

the saw still works without a ticket.....:biggrin:

going on what I've seen since I been back how long will it be before the saw does need a ticket.

You guys are gonna have to fall alot of trees to provide the paper for all these tickets there are lol.

I wonder if folks don't get em etc if the powers that be will be happy wiping their behinds with plastic toilet paper as there will be no trees felled to make their kitten soft lol

i must ask though

how is a youngster supposed to get into this industry without a step up from a relatively easy NPTC

He/She tries it out for 6 months then decides if it is for them or not.

Quite a few are obviously not up to it and so we then have a more focussed workforce who want to progress.