Chainsaw update training to become mandatory for all operatives from Oct 2013

PhilBeech

Working in the woods has and will always remain dangerous

I agree it is down to professionalism etc but it is also down to who is teaching are they or have they got the necessary to actually impart knowledge or did they learn it on a course sitting on their rears???

Oh I have on several occasions sent folks down the hill cause they weren't safe and have left with blue air behind them and on one occasion my caulk in their ass

I really feel the best way teach on the job with a young gun as a second faller then he/she learns using what was bestowed on them at birth.......2 eyes and 2 ears but only one mouth.

Tickets they mean jack in the woods They only mean something to the companies that provide them and the insurance companies I'd rather fall with a guy who been doing it than one who has his tickets as within a few mins I'll tell if he can walk the walk

Here lies the problem. As someone who employs people to fell comercially people with tickets and no experience can not fell trees safely.

As an instructor there is only so much that i can teach in a week.

Added to this the commercial pressures to get it done as quickly and as cheaply as possible....... Do you wonder why we work in an industry with such high accidents and deaths.

The solution is simple, pay people days rates to that they do not have to rush and cut corners.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here lies the problem. As someone who employs people to fell comercially people with tickets and no experience can not fell trees safely.

As an instructor there is only so much that i can teach in a week.

Added to this the commercial pressures to get it done as quickly and as cheaply as possible....... Do you wonder why we work in an industry with such high accidents and deaths.

The solution is simple, pay people days rates to that they do not have to rush and cut corners.

I wasn't hitting at you bro lol.......I get you can't teach in a week it really takes years. What I meant in the last bit was if a guy turns up and says he has experience I can tell pretty quickly if that true or not.

Hey like you I know what the pressures are and get ya there totally. Maybe it different with me as fallers are at the top off the pile and do get pretty well paid .....least I think we do....

Yeah accidents happen as it is a dangerous game but I'd stick to the second faller way as better than courses

cutting corners is dumb no matter where but with proper second faller training ya get faster and don'tcut corners or at least no where your limitations lie. Me if I was presented with a huge old growth I'd be looking for a guy so I could be his second and learn (I have cut big but not the real huge uns)

I do get what your saying tho buddy

I

Safety comes not from a course or some one preaching the gospel ........it comes from experience, common sense and time spent with a faller. Are the powers that be here totally brain dead???

All men are not equal, all fellers are not equal, I have seen some with diabolical bad habits that should not be passed on.

All men are not equal, all fellers are not equal, I have seen some with diabolical bad habits that should not be passed on.

I agree there are good and bad ......but that the case most places

However I would add very few bad fallers stay in work as no one will touch them

Increasing the governments revenue stream.

easy-lift guy

Sorry, but this has nothing to do with the government's revenue.

There are all sorts of problems with the way we train chainsaw use in this country and refresher training is not going to sort them. As an idea I think it has some merit points, but it is not the be all and end all, you can be refreshed and still be a dangerous operator. Those who bemoan the safety record should take a long hard look at their procurement procedures and question why they are based either entirely, or largely biased towards price. Pay peanuts - get monkeys, simples. If you want a highly skilled operator you might have to pay for one, oh and I agree with Craobh, it will always be dangerous as long as you have a man (or woman, I've been told off for that before), a saw and a big lump of wood. This will not change, no matter what refresher we do, but skilled operators should be able to minimise the danger.

Increasing the governments revenue stream.

easy-lift guy

You clearly know nothing of this

The government earns nothing from NPTC.

The part of the government that is behind this is the Health and Safety Executive (think OSHA) who also don't get a penny from it but are mandated to protect people.

Edited by treequip
spruce beat me to it

Sorry, but this has nothing to do with the government's revenue.

There are all sorts of problems with the way we train chainsaw use in this country and refresher training is not going to sort them. As an idea I think it has some merit points, but it is not the be all and end all, you can be refreshed and still be a dangerous operator. Those who bemoan the safety record should take a long hard look at their procurement procedures and question why they are based either entirely, or largely biased towards price. Pay peanuts - get monkeys, simples. If you want a highly skilled operator you might have to pay for one, oh and I agree with Craobh, it will always be dangerous as long as you have a man (or woman, I've been told off for that before), a saw and a big lump of wood. This will not change, no matter what refresher we do, but skilled operators should be able to minimise the danger.

I wasn't having a go at you guys who do know their stuff

However I REALLY think the training here is kinda suspect I am sorry but it really is the Swedish/GOL dance and that my friends is the biggest money making scheme going

E\asy lift I agree with your 2 posts but the govt here a wee bit diff lol it not like back home where we got both federal ad state trying to stick us uin the ass when we not looking. They a tad more subtle here lol