What's my dead elm worth?

Central

I don't read poems all I was saying was my opinion ok no more I wasn't rude but you wanna get into being like that no worries I could but haven't said things you've said are bull crap

Honestly I had it in this forum sorry guys but I really think I'm way way outta place.

I have cut more timber more firewood etc in 30 years than I'd care to think of but you guys go for it.

Mods delete my account thanks

I've been working with ex-booties for too long. Apologies - that was meant to come across as tongue-in-cheek funny.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't wanna put a downer on ya but elm isn't great firewood. If it's on the ground (your elm) it can soak water up like a sponge. It can be a real s o b to split it stringy and doesn't pop apart easily so hope ya got a splitter.

Burning it don't give much heat in fact it can just sit there and well sit there lol. Back home no one will touch the stuff apart from the furniture guys or the wood carvers. If it in good condition maybe milling it is an option.

But if it free then better than nothing

sorry if ya think this rude folks here might have different opinion tho

Dead standing elm is THEE best fire wood in my eyes . Can be a baaalamb to split without some sort of mechanical advantage but its got to my 1st choice always and for ever amen x 10 ......and that ! :thumbup:

Dead standing elm is THEE best fire wood in my eyes . Can be a baaalamb to split without some sort of mechanical advantage but its got to my 1st choice always and for ever amen x 10 ......and that ! :thumbup:

Stubby that's true but that's because it has dried to below 20% in the few years since it died, it doesn't rewet easily and it is a dense hardwood.

Don't you remember back in the mid 70s when we were felling recently killed trees what a b* they were to burn on the bonfire, that's because green elm is wetter than many softwoods and nearly as wet as poplar.

I remember having to build a ring of chogs round the fire of brash to get the logs hot enough before tipping them onto the fire.

Where is Craobh? In just about any country other than England dead trees get harvested for wood immediately and elm takes longer to dry than say sycamore or alder.

Stubby that's true but that's because it has dried to below 20% in the few years since it died, it doesn't rewet easily and it is a dense hardwood.

Don't you remember back in the mid 70s when we were felling recently killed trees what a b* they were to burn on the bonfire, that's because green elm is wetter than many softwoods and nearly as wet as poplar.

I remember having to build a ring of chogs round the fire of brash to get the logs hot enough before tipping them onto the fire.

Where is Craobh? In just about any country other than England dead trees get harvested for wood immediately and elm takes longer to dry than say sycamore or alder.

I just sent him a pm saying please don't go cos I love the interaction . Hope he stays L.O.L ! What I find in the elm is the helical heart wood and the strait outer wood . Thats why you need some mechanical advantage !!

I understand why Craobh has reacted in that way. And I have to say I respect him for it. I don't post on this particular forum because I don't wish to be associated with the way some people (a minority) react to others' opinions. You might call it banter - I'd call it bullying. An opinion reached through knowledge and experience is valid even if at variance to my own. I read the posts on here regularly because there are people worth taking notice of and I have learnt a good deal from them. And they don't seem to feel the need to ridicule others.

I understand why Craobh has reacted in that way. And I have to say I respect him for it. I don't post on this particular forum because I don't wish to be associated with the way some people (a minority) react to others' opinions. You might call it banter - I'd call it bullying. An opinion reached through knowledge and experience is valid even if at variance to my own. I read the posts on here regularly because there are people worth taking notice of and I have learnt a good deal from them. And they don't seem to feel the need to ridicule others.

Well said:)

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

I don't think anyone ridiculed Craobh, there was just a 'robust difference of opinions'.

If Arbtalk was in a bar, I think a few chests would have been prodded but no bottles broken.

I hope he doesn't leave, I think he's a valuable addition to the site.

Compo, if you ever feel you're being bullied on here just say so mate, and people will step in.

I don't believe there are any real bullies on Arbtalk, just sometimes people who are insensitive and possibly drunk.