What's my dead elm worth?

Central

You have clearly never burnt dead Elm, that's been killed by DED, the is no hotter burning timber, IMO

It is hard to process, but once cut and split, it is the finest of all fire woods.

I'd agree with huck and others on that - live elm is a pain to season, but standing dead is great. Still usually wants a bit of drying but if it's lost all the bark then it's not far off.

Edited by Chris Sheppard

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh I'm sure that you're right in the main but if folk choose to post drunk then I'm not sure of the value of their contribution to the forum. And the difference between insensitivity and bullying would depend on which side of the exchange you find yourself on. As I said before there are people on here for whom I have a great deal of respect, who have shown themselves to be competent and innovative and I shall continue to monitor their posts because they are worth reading. I'm not concerned about being bullied myself, I'm big enough and ugly enough not to care. But I choose not to associate myself with those who deride others.

Oh I'm sure that you're right in the main but if folk choose to post drunk then I'm not sure of the value of their contribution to the forum. And the difference between insensitivity and bullying would depend on which side of the exchange you find yourself on. As I said before there are people on here for whom I have a great deal of respect, who have shown themselves to be competent and innovative and I shall continue to monitor their posts because they are worth reading. I'm not concerned about being bullied myself, I'm big enough and ugly enough not to care. But I choose not to associate myself with those who deride others.

Agreed.

I think we can all spot the members who are constantly negative about others without posting anything positive themselves.

As for drunkeness - 'Everybody likes a drink, but nobody likes a drunk'.

I sound like a recovering alcoholic, which I am basically.

there seems to be a problem here with timber types...elm, american...**** burns poorly, elm english, once dry terrific burning, got to get across to these colonials, there is more timber types than what grows on there soil, they are NOT the world, and never will be, just because it doesnt happen over there, doesnt mean it doesnt happen anywhere else.....and back to the initial question, how much is the original poster going to pay to have the dead trees taken away, no-ones going to pay him for them...lol

I wonder if you could get the trees down in big enough lumps to chain-saw mill?

There are people in the barn/boaty world who like Elm.

Ercol perfected Elm laminating in the 1970's with all the DED trees, for miles around, being taken into their Latimer saw-mills.

As weather-boards it has no competitor except perhaps Larch for price/availability which is its closest modern counterpart.

From what I remember it mills well but it does move about considerably afterwards. You may find with your dead specimens you will have less warping....It does have a lovely grain too.

I always think to jump into the 'burn it' immediately mind-set is a little premature. I understand this train of thought as I only use timber as my primary heat source but other options should be looked at first!

codlasher.

Edited by codlasher

there seems to be a problem here with timber types...elm, american...**** burns poorly, elm english, once dry terrific burning, got to get across to these colonials, there is more timber types than what grows on there soil, they are NOT the world, and never will be, just because it doesnt happen over there, doesnt mean it doesnt happen anywhere else.....and back to the initial question, how much is the original poster going to pay to have the dead trees taken away, no-ones going to pay him for them...lol

Oh I can stand up for myself trust me in that ......I'm not saying that if it don't grow in the lower 48 it not worth it lol

I gave my opinion lol .......oh and btw I'm not a Colonial lol I'm the same as you .....well actually no.....I'm a Highlander hence the name ......

but all good I get the elm here is ok just didn't like the way things were put so I jacked back

Well, this has certainly generated a bit of interest,,so thanks for the feedback guys.

We use a lot of timber in our boiler, about 30m3 per annum. I have tried softwood, larch and hardwood, and prefer larch of the three.

Also, around here, which is south lanarkshire, none of the firewood suppliers have seasoned hardwood. It's too expensive, hence my question as to,what it is worth to a firewood supplier. We do have a supplier in north lanarkshire that sells hardwood for £90 for a builders bag. So about £120 per metre cube.

So if I could trade my elm for larch at a fair rate, I would be happy.