chipper running costs

Dowie

To balance things up I do have a list of 3 things which prevent the greenmech being 'perfect' - mine is a 16-23 by the way.

1. The a frame is too long (hence the comments above about chips falling short)

2. There is a vertical bulge welded on one side of the infeed hopper which means you have to work around it when feeding brush - its a strengthening piece but should be OUTSIDE the hopper.

3. I wish it had a diesel level indicator - you have to fold the hopper down to check the level.

I don't know if any of these have been addressed with the quadchip.

Maintenance wise its easy and it has only blocked up once in 3 years and that was with cordyline. I've found it brilliant - and I'm not on commission!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always neutral about TW. 190 and bigger ones have always been alright and been good to use. The 150 is a bit weedy IMO. Used a quadchip for the first time today chipping shrubs that have been used as trimmed hedges for a few years. Most of it was Laurel. I think 2 or 3 pieces wouldn't go in properly out of at least 40 of them which were multi stemmed. The strength on the rollers is immense. Good thick spring. The ones on a tw150 I can pull off with one hand. Says a lot about them really. I would have been there forever today with a 150.

I'm glad the springs pull off with one hand as when you change the blades it makes a big difference doing them with the rollers wedged open. Also it make in jamming if a conny fork gets wedged. The springs aid grip but also allow the rotor to move up and down if they were to taught then it wouldn't move up and down as well causing jams. I love Timberwolf, I ain't tried green mech or bandit, or these others, they will all have there good and bad points, that's life. I own my chipper, bought and paid for and it does what I want.

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

I you use a Jensen or Schleising or Quadchip, you won't buy a Timberwolf.

Alternatively, wait a few more weeks for a new chipper from Raptor. I can't say anything but you'll be very surprised.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I've used a Jensen but wouldn't want to own one. I'm happy with my wolf and the service I get from orange plant. Why change?

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

It is handy to have your chipper dealer reasonably local (not essential), just something to think about. Schliesing (Overland @ Basingstoke), Jenson (Redwood @ nr Stockbridge) and TP (Osborne's @ Romsey) are all fairly local to you.

Edited by Marc Lewis

My feelings are if its a heavy weight chipper for hiring out or contract work with an array of different operators of different experiences as cutters then go for a Bandit , if its owner operator then TW 150 KEEP IT SHARP, follow the service recommendations and when the time comes to trade it in you will be amazed at the values it will still be worth, on the tracked version once the hopper is removed I don't think there is any other chipper in its class or weight that will access such tight openings . Maintenance is easy, i'v had Jensen and TP's and worked with others. Bolt tension is very important on the blades .