yew logs for sale

Johny Walker

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I remember that. I've got about ten times the amount in that picture at the yard. Great firewood but a bitch to split, so it tends to get left until there's absolutely nothing else left to log.

Even then it will make more than selling to 'craftsmen'

But also pls remember the craftsmen are also unlikely to make any money out of the hrs they put into whatever they make.

I know i certainly spend a lot more money than i could ever recoup and would be unlikely to make £5 an hr if i did sell stuff.

It is generally a HOBBY

But also pls remember the craftsmen are also unlikely to make any money out of the hrs they put into whatever they make.

I know i certainly spend a lot more money than i could ever recoup and would be unlikely to make £5 an hr if i did sell stuff.

It is generally a HOBBY

Very true, but most people are happy to pay good money for the things they need for their HOBBY, look at walkers, fishermen, golfers, they pay a fortune for gear or memberships.

The problem is people feel wood should be free or very cheap, same goes for firewood, people seem to think it should be more or less given away.

Tbh if it's been sold like that it's not worth a lot, even tho I can turn that into something beautiful. See thread where rob d brought x2 huge pieces of walnut for £70.

On the other hand if you turned it into firewood I would be happy to pay firewood prices, same with planks or bowl blanks.

So there's the problem it's wood that you've most likely already been paid for to remove and is worth less than firewood as you have done nothing to it.

Does that make sense ? If not just tell me to sod off :D

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Very true, but most people are happy to pay good money for the things they need for their HOBBY, look at walkers, fishermen, golfers, they pay a fortune for gear or memberships.

The problem is people feel wood should be free or very cheap, same goes for firewood, people seem to think it should be more or less given away.

Previously individuals have paid me the going rate for it,but that time i offered it to the respective chairmen of the two local clubs.

When they came into the yard it was obvious they'd like it for next to nothing,and expected me to deliver it all.

Out of the corner of my eye i noticed them wink at each other behind my back and it was then i decided ide got better things to do than be the next chump.

wood it be worth planking,if so what thickness planks,

What ever is best fit on your stove mate!:thumbup:

If logging "precious" timber was a crime, I'd of been given life years ago.

My advice would be either;

Stack it in a corner seperate from your run of the mill firewood if you have space.

Either log it if you get short of other stuff, or put it in price if a "turner" asks for it.

Do not offer it for sale and ask for offers, you will get insulted.

If you want to sell after being asked, ask for a real price, if they dont like it, they walk.

Otherwise, log it first and enjoy it yourself:thumbup:

Interesting thread and I think the last post suggesting a separate pile of half decent logs in case a buyer turns up is a good idea. I'm a'hobby' craftsman and have bought round timber this way for about 10 years. Always wondered what the 'going rate' should be. But I've found that the following has worked fine. Minimum £50 a ton for round logs which I then move in a hired tipper, but more (sometimes a lot more) for really good quality logs/hard to get species. Also, I aim to spend a minimum of £25 each visit, even if I only take away something small to reduce the risk of being viewed as a timewaster. I've found this approach has meant people are happy to get repeat business and I now get calls when suitable timber is available. Recently offered an oak with a girth of 15 feet and 45 feet to the first branch! Too big for me at the moment so it will go for logs. From my point of view the yew logs look terrific for milling and now that I have a couple of Alaskan mills, am just sorry that I'm too far away. But someone will want them if you can hang onto them for a while. Have you tried the Woodnet website?

Andrew

Good advice from Andrew above (interested in that 45ft Oak btw if you can put them in touch with me?).

Best advice I'd give is put them to one side in the yard (off the ground - that's very important for any sawlog. Even though Yew is very rot resistant, the sap wood isn't and the contrast between the two is marketable). Keep doing this until you have about 5-10 tonnes of nice quality logs and get a woodmizer (or similar) in to mill them. Cut them to a variety of thicknesses and stick them to air dry. Your bandmill hire will only cost about £350-450 and will give you a minimum of £1500 of timber even if selling at rock bottom prices.

The key though is to sell it prior to it being milled. If you drum up the interest in it early on, it's not even speculative.

Please don't firewood them though. Good yew (and this is quite reasonable quality - the occasional branches are a bit of a shame, but the uniform trunk cross section and lack of star shake are unusual) is quite hard to come by and is fairly valuable. I've sold nearly £5000 of yew boards in the past year (after having paid about £330 for the roundwood logs).

Jonathan