yew logs for sale

Johny Walker

Interesting thread and I think the last post suggesting a separate pile of half decent logs in case a buyer turns up is a good idea. I'm a'hobby' craftsman and have bought round timber this way for about 10 years. Always wondered what the 'going rate' should be. But I've found that the following has worked fine. Minimum £50 a ton for round logs which I then move in a hired tipper, but more (sometimes a lot more) for really good quality logs/hard to get species. Also, I aim to spend a minimum of £25 each visit, even if I only take away something small to reduce the risk of being viewed as a timewaster. I've found this approach has meant people are happy to get repeat business and I now get calls when suitable timber is available. Recently offered an oak with a girth of 15 feet and 45 feet to the first branch! Too big for me at the moment so it will go for logs. From my point of view the yew logs look terrific for milling and now that I have a couple of Alaskan mills, am just sorry that I'm too far away. But someone will want them if you can hang onto them for a while. Have you tried the Woodnet website?

Andrew

iv thought of getting an alaskan mill, not sure what size to get,

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iv thought of getting an alaskan mill, not sure what size to get,

For that size of timber, I would use an Alaskan. The percentage wastage on small logs is far worse than on larger logs. A small, manual band mill would be your best bet, but it's a larger investment. There are lots of inexpensive manual mills on German Ebay:

Blockbandsäge BBS 500 Kleinst-Sägewerk | eBay

Wood-Mizer Bandsägewerk LT10 Woodmizer Blockbandsäge | eBay

R-65 Blockbandsäge Sägewerk Bandsäge Sawmill | eBay

For that size of timber, I would use an Alaskan. The percentage wastage on small logs is far worse than on larger logs. A small, manual band mill would be your best bet, but it's a larger investment. There are lots of inexpensive manual mills on German Ebay:

Blockbandsäge BBS 500 Kleinst-Sägewerk | eBay

Wood-Mizer Bandsägewerk LT10 Woodmizer Blockbandsäge | eBay

R-65 Blockbandsäge Sägewerk Bandsäge Sawmill | eBay

how much are the alaskans,

Costs to set up an Alaskan Mill with an MS660:

* Powerhead - £810 from FR Jones (inc VAT)

* Sugihara 36 inch bar from Rob (Alaskanmill.co.uk) - £129. You need a high quality milling bar. Standard Stihl/Husky bars aren't tough enough and burr too easily.

* Ripping chain - about £45 roughly, though you want two

* Precision sharpener - £60

* Alaskan mill and extra handle - £255

So about £1344 including a couple of chains and VAT.

Jonathan

Costs to set up an Alaskan Mill with an MS660:

* Powerhead - £810 from FR Jones (inc VAT)

* Sugihara 36 inch bar from Rob (Alaskanmill.co.uk) - £129. You need a high quality milling bar. Standard Stihl/Husky bars aren't tough enough and burr too easily.

* Ripping chain - about £45 roughly, though you want two

* Precision sharpener - £60

* Alaskan mill and extra handle - £255

So about £1344 including a couple of chains and VAT.

Jonathan

iv got the saw,so thats a bit less

Yeah, I remember that. I've got about ten times the amount in that picture at the yard. Great firewood but a bitch to split, so it tends to get left until there's absolutely nothing else left to log.

Even then it will make more than selling to 'craftsmen'

Yes, and it always should, because to make firewood you've put time, effort (and fuel) into it whereas to sell it to 'craftsmen' you haven't. Consider how much a cube of seasoned firewood would sell for. Then consider the equivalent volume of timber you are selling to a 'craftsman', and it's still green!

I buy some timber - not much but a bit. I tend to try to take my offered price from the up to date hoppus foot prices that get quoted on here from time to time. The price will be higher than roadside cordwood, but nothing like split, seasoned firewood, for the above reason. I find the range of reactions quite interesting. Some people assume they'll get something like the finished value price of the item that might be made, just for the timber. Others like the fact that it's better than cordwood prices if they can't be bothered to split it up themselves.

Alec