Dog with liver disease diet

Dean Lofthouse

Does anyone have any tips on the best thing to feed my Springers on instead of the manufactured crap.

I've just had blood tests done on my nine year old springer and he has something going on with his liver, all the indicators are raised so vet recommended changing his diet to reduce the strain on his liver, I think it is a low fat high protein diet avoiding things like high copper content stuff.

Done a bit of research but it's complicated and loads of differing opinions.

Today I boiled up some sweet potato, broccoli, rice and put in a little garlic and rape seed oil. They absolutely loved it, tasted nice to me too

Apparently cod liver oil is bad for dogs with liver disease so omega 3 fatty acids have to be derived from other sources

From now on I am never feeding any dog any manufactured stuff, even the £50 a bag stuff I was feeding them, every dog I have ever had seems to end up with lumps and bumps or some sort of health problems.

Vet said if I get it right and a tumour is not the cause of the problems, the liver will or may regenerate to a point that will extend his life a good amount.

During shooting season they do get treated to venison and game birds but only for three months of the year

Any info much appreciated or tips to improve on what I give them.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My spaniel seems to love the waste veg left over from after my juicing experiments. Also we discovered he loves olive oil and this helped him with a stuck up bum after eating a large bone. I don't know much about dog nutrition but I do know the recommended amounts they suggest on the tins of dog food are about 50% too high. It seems dog food manufacturers are supersizing. Good luck with the liver problems. Dogs are carnivores but mine loves bananas:confused1: