Beginners climbing guide, hints, tips and general climbing techniques

Adam Bourne

Unlike a zigzag a prusik has many other uses besides just getting into a tree. If you can't be @rsed to tie a prusik properly, what about all the other knots you will need as an arborist, whether for climbing and/or rigging?

I think he mean't safer, not can't be bothered to learn...

For me, I think if you really want to understand climbing techniques, then you have to plow a lot of time into Utube..

Little by little bits seem to sink in...

I mean if you aren't actually a working arborist that is..

Look at me for example, never so much as touched a proper climbers rope till the back end of last summer,

I've gone from learning how to body thrust up a single rope, to now, where I'm having a stab at SRT...

I even ruminated on that two rope thread, thinking that might be a better/safer way to go...

I do have the advantage of a couple of tree's to practice on though...

But the point is, you can condense years of experience into months or weeks if you have a mind to...

Unlike a zigzag a prusik has many other uses besides just getting into a tree. If you can't be @rsed to tie a prusik properly, what about all the other knots you will need as an arborist, whether for climbing and/or rigging?

I think he mean't safer, not can't be bothered to learn...

Exactly. I'm happy learning techniques, knots etc. I know a few of them already and I'm learning some more.

It was more a question of why people don't learn or start on newer techniques.

I am also spending hours on youtube watching different stuff. I've found climbing arborist on there, any other recommended channels / sites etc?

I guess the reason most people start off on a very basic system is that it's what's taught on CS38/39.

Why don't they teach more up to date techniques? too much variety IMO, it's easier to teach a basic standard (and cheaper) DdRT set-up and make sure the trainees are competent, if they pass assessment they'll no doubt go on to more up to date/advanced techniques based on what their colleagues use or what they see on Youtube.

IMO :001_smile:

Sounds eminently sensible.

I've so far got a harness, rope and some crabs. Guess I need some friction cord. Would it be worth getting an eye to eye or split tail? Would it be sensible to look at a hitch climber? From what I understand they make the use of a standard friction hitch easier.

I've so far got a harness, rope and some crabs. Guess I need some friction cord. Would it be worth getting an eye to eye or split tail? Would it be sensible to look at a hitch climber? From what I understand they make the use of a standard friction hitch easier.

absolutely, get yourself a hitch climber, and a few meteres of 8mm cord and play with some knots. Splice eye to eyes are neat but not strictly necessary. Save some cash to start with.

Best thing I did was buy a hitch climber (and some sort of friction saver) I've been climbing since 2000 and took me years to progress as I got stuck in my ways climbing on the basics. There's still a place for having a good knowledge of a/the basic system though. So in answer to your question get both or/and a prussic loop,and practice on any system you can

I've been going through some stuff I bought the other day - a box of climbing gear from eBay.

There's a brand new 100m roll of Tendon 7mm accessory cord. Is it any use?

Also, I take it that screw gate carabiners don't seem to be used in arb? only 3 way?

30 to 40 metres of three strand, two carabiners and a harness. Doesn't get more basic than that and it'll get you around any tree you care to ascend.

After that you're beginning to get choosy and more refined!

I don't think you can get three strand anymore, or multiplat.

Would be nice though.