diesel waxing

renewablejohn

I can see the point of keeping the tractor tank topped up to stop condensation but what about the storage tank that you supply it from? Unless that doesn't suffer so much as the fuel doesn't slosh about and get warm and then cool.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI JOHN this week we had water in the mf165 dev we had some thing in the tank to stop water but it no good i think it if the tank is low then you get condensation what do you all think jon :thumbup:

Best practice has always been to fill the tank at the end of every day not leave it empty over night, however, due to the fact you can't leave anything for 5minutes without it getting nicked these days,including fuel ,drivers tend to fill in the morning.

I can see the point of keeping the tractor tank topped up to stop condensation but what about the storage tank that you supply it from? Unless that doesn't suffer so much as the fuel doesn't slosh about and get warm and then cool.

Its more on vehicles where the spill return goes to the tank and the heat from the engine and transmission heats the tank and fuel bulk tanks will warm up and cool down and will sweat but due to size will hold more water before showing issues !

Plastic tanks will sweat but not as much also depends on the weather and humidity.

In the old days of steel bulk tanks we always set them on block pillers, sloping back, so that the back of the tank became a water trap. We used to fit taps to the drain hole at the back and try to remember to crack them off occasionally to drain the water, let them run until clean diesel ran (all over the ground) The environment agency were not around then to bother us and no one ever seemed to nick the stuff either.

Do the plastic, bunded, tanks have a facility to drain?

In the old days of steel bulk tanks we always set them on block pillers, sloping back, so that the back of the tank became a water trap. We used to fit taps to the drain hole at the back and try to remember to crack them off occasionally to drain the water, let them run until clean diesel ran (all over the ground) The environment agency were not around then to bother us and no one ever seemed to nick the stuff either.

Do the plastic, bunded, tanks have a facility to drain?

Not many will have if any :( also alot are now top fill top offtake ! ie no holes below the max fill level !

HI JOHN this week we had water in the mf165 dev we had some thing in the tank to stop water but it no good i think it if the tank is low then you get condensation what do you all think jon :thumbup:

I was fed up of having to keep bleeding my MF550 with the fuel tank being so low and the lift pump pulling up the water and muck accumulated over 20 years .

Solution :- 25 ltr plastic oil drum hung from wing mirror tied with baler twine gravity feed direct into diesel filter. Tractor is static used for PTO on processor and starts on the button every time diesel problems now a thing of the past.

I was fed up of having to keep bleeding my MF550 with the fuel tank being so low and the lift pump pulling up the water and muck accumulated over 20 years .

Solution :- 25 ltr plastic oil drum hung from wing mirror tied with baler twine gravity feed direct into diesel filter. Tractor is static used for PTO on processor and starts on the button every time diesel problems now a thing of the past.

HI JOHN thanks mate i will now keep it full up all the time now and there was water in the lift pump mate good job theres a over size battery on it :thumbup1:jon :thumbup:

• 5 weeks later...

Despite our -15 frost for that sustained period in 2010, both the Galaxy and old 1490 started, albeit reluctantly.

I last bought red diesel several years ago, a bulk tank, just finished it on my last fill (of the tractor).

I buy clear wherever at reputable pumps..

Never had problems with waxing or water.

So I says most likely water in the lines or filter.

i used to habitually check the fuel filter in the BX, a few drops only.

Ditto in der Galaxy.

Must be better fuel in NI

Cheers

Marcus

Clean your tanks out. If you draw water into the fuel pump dont leave there in cold weather as it will freeze and crack the pump open. Get in there with a pump and get the crap off the bottom not just run out of fuel as the fuel line does not drain the vehicle tank to the bottom.

Clean your tanks out.

And do it PROPERLY!!

I recently drained fuel out of my tractor, then filled with new fuel, as you'd expect (hind sight) empty tank, pour in fuel, stir all sh1t up in bottom of tank... into lift pump, block fuel filter and be a general pain in the arse....

All rectified when i removed tank, power washed out, cleaned fuel lines and lift pump and renewed fuel filter.... what a couple of manic days :blushing:

All before i take it on its first outing! long way!!!

Edited by swinny