diesel waxing

renewablejohn

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be looking for a bit of water as the culprit this early in the season, unless you were below -5.

Even winter grade diesel can wax, and it gets worse if you have a long cold spell, because the wax floats in the tank, so you fill up from the bottom every cold morning, no wax as its floating, one warm day and it melts and gets mixed up, and the next fill up is a high concentration of wax which will plug the filter on the first cold morning.

Common consensus up here is that oil companies have been scrimping on the additive for the past few years - they'll tell you that winter & summer diesel is no different and that it's all treated these days. Maybe it is but my experience is that their treatment is only good for about 0 degrees.

I put Waxbreaker Gold in the bulk tank at about 1.5 times the recommended rate (1.5 litres / 1000 litres fuel) This works well enough although when it gets below about -15C it will start to cloud up but then it's best to sit by the fire and pretend to do paperwork when it's that chilly

I think it was down to about -6 here this morning. I stopped using my own diesel tanks when we had a spate of thefts around local farms so I now rely on local supermarkets for standard white diesel. Is there a web site anywhere which compares diesel specs across fuel suppliers. I did think of water as I recently had a bad fill up from a supermarket which I no longer use. It must have been cold as the gear stick was frozen in 2nd gear and I had to wait for the gearbox to warm up before I could change gear.

Edited by renewablejohn

I think it was down to about -6 here this morning. I stopped using my own diesel tanks when we had a spate of thefts around local farms so I now rely on local supermarkets for standard white diesel. Is there a web site anywhere which compares diesel specs across fuel suppliers. I did think of water as I recently had a bad fill up from a supermarket which I no longer use. It must have been cold as the gear stick was frozen in 2nd gear and I had to wait for the gearbox to warm up before I could change gear.

Have a look on the British farming forum as they have a fuel tracker as a sticky