diesel waxing

renewablejohn

I think it was down to about -6 here this morning. I stopped using my own diesel tanks when we had a spate of thefts around local farms so I now rely on local supermarkets for standard white diesel. Is there a web site anywhere which compares diesel specs across fuel suppliers. I did think of water as I recently had a bad fill up from a supermarket which I no longer use. It must have been cold as the gear stick was frozen in 2nd gear and I had to wait for the gearbox to warm up before I could change gear.

I have a cheap racor filter with electric pump. I stick a pipe in all my tanks and sometimes its alarming how much water I am buying. I have a plastic heating oil tank new 8 years ago I took 30 litres of water out of it a few months ago.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I did some tractor driving, many moons ago, it was drummed into us to fill the tank to the brim every night after work. Stops any condensation forming on the warm tank sides.

Yes but I preferred to park up with a near empty tank and regularly flush out the water drains after having a machine stolen and left running after crashing down a plantation.

I had a Merc van and the manual said to add so many % of parafine to stop waxing, them were the days pre refineries adding anti waxing. Also the days when parafine was cheap!

I never had any trouble in 20 years with waxing diesel I just use Morrisons forecourt pump stuff (to get the points) but I know a BP garage down the road has had issues with water in fuel so maybe you had some water mixed in your tank?

I know it was cold here this morning but I thought diesel was supposed to go down to below -20 before you get waxing problems. My MB Trac not happy although still managed the delivery, so are all the diesel brands the same or are some better than others.

HI JOHN this week we had water in the mf165 dev we had some thing in the tank to stop water but it no good i think it if the tank is low then you get condensation what do you all think jon :thumbup: