the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

The thing that confuses me is that everyone I've met who has an 880 for tree work never has longer than a 36" bar anyway. Fair enough if you're dropping monsters on the regular and use a longer bar, but it's as if they looked at a 36" 660 and thought "Yeah, I'd like a heavier version, please".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

The thing that confuses me is that everyone I've met who has an 880 for tree work never has longer than a 36" bar anyway. Fair enough if you're dropping monsters on the regular and use a longer bar, but it's as if they looked at a 36" 660 and thought "Yeah, I'd like a heavier version, please".

Spot on. 

I had a 30" 404 on a 880 (that's what it came with). Stupid.

Now have a 36" 3/8 on a 661. Way better. THE UK big saw for UK big stuff.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

I use mine for trimming big butts for the mill, stumping prior to grinding, and ringing up small when a machine is holding the load. All saws weigh the same in the cut and I want these repetitive jobs done as quick as possible. 

No way I’d want one up a tree even if I climbed! The anti vibe is noticeably old school too. 

• Like 2

Video yourself and then watch back with a pair of chess clocks. Measure cutting time vs everything else time. 

And they're no faster in the cut on normal size stuff. Possibly a tiny bit on three foot oak butts but that time's lost straight back to dealing with 404 when you only had to deal with 3/8 before. 

If you like it, great but for some reason we're now arguing over what's better and I think it's a 661. UNLESS one wants a ≥48" bar. 

Edited by AHPP

23 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Video yourself and then watch back with a pair of chess clocks. Measure cutting time vs everything else time. 

And they're no faster in the cut on normal size stuff. Possibly a tiny bit on three foot oak butts but that time's lost straight back to dealing with 404 when you only had to deal with 3/8 before. 

If you like it, great but for some reason we're now arguing over what's better and I think it's a 661. UNLESS one wants a ≥48" bar. 

There's no time lost with .404- they have their own drawer like all the other 3/8 chains in varying lengths do, and they use the same wheel on the grinder.

Quite a few years ago now.  Used them quite a lot up the tree.   Sometimes if you need one it is nice to use.  Heavy as hell but wanted to get the job done in this London Plane and Oak in the other picture.  Hard timber and would have been a pain in the buttski with a 660. 

48” bar was needed on that tree.  Started smaller but it was easier to go large, we changed it up that day for the larger bar to make the cuts in one go.

IMG_8176.thumb.jpeg.0d45b3ef23c991ffa312cedf64a9817f.jpeg

IMG_8178.thumb.jpeg.92591c7d051c4c7c616f898abaf18bc2.jpegIMG_8179.thumb.jpeg.2d205d17eae28840f1b9967e3bb75d5a.jpegIMG_8177.thumb.jpeg.6a8a9154f45a1bd6fa209bff040590ca.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

A 088 will pull a 36" all day everyday for its entire working life.

A 066/660/ 661 will die under 6 months doing the same. I am talking about burning 10 to 20 liters a day not mincing around in back gardens.

A 66 will do everything well enough but it's a lot lighter built than a 084/088.

I would much rather use a lighter saw but we didn't have that option.