Firewood options? Processing....

swinny

Speaking to fuelwood at the APF, the japa 100 has apparently had several fairly big mods to the new ones that have done little more than make it more expensive - don't know what the price is one one now though.

LAst price I got back for a HP Eagle was £1500 plus vat and delivery but including the TCT blade.

As a next step from your current set up, and if you get a good amount of sub 10" diameter stuff, I think you'll find a sawbench a good move.

I used to have a HP Eagle and really got on well with it, and especially found the corkscrew handy when dealing with billets as it meant any odd bigger bits could get split before going in the pile.

If you get a lot of big diameter stuff thats a bit gnrly then its chainsaw and splitter and thats about it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No one has really mentioned a good saw bench yet. I have a good solid bench and 10t Browns splitter, really good combination. Most of the cord I have is to big for a small/medium processor. So we chainsaw most cord into 1m lengths, then split into billets, then either stack billets or run billets straight over the saw bench. we can do 3cm in a really good hour, me and my bro. Important to have the kit set up properly to minimise walking around to much and keep bending over picking timber up to a minimum. we have a table between splitter and bench to keep timber at waist hieght.

Wonder if its worth trying to knock one up....

Bucket on my tractor is only 3' 6" long :(

Do you mean make a saw horse with a little ramp at the rear, the logs roll down it into bucket?

My bucket is 2metres wide but it should work fine at 3' 6"

I just sit the oregon horse in the bucket as the logs are held up quite high in it. I have the bucket crowded.

Also I don't bother too much with length as it all goes in a heap which gets turned to help dry it and unsettle any undesired residents.

Some customers want 6" logs others want 14" We bag to order and keep a few bagged up in regular size. At the moment I have a pub customer that I never sell big enough lumps to! She likes em a cubic foot size n shape "because they last longer.

The firewood customer is a variable creature. :bash:

I would 100% agree with Farmer Ben.

KEEPING THE LOGS/BILLETS AT WAIST HEIGHT, IDEALLY ON A SUPER SMOOTH STEEL SURFACED BENCH IS THE KEY. (A French zinc topped bar would be ideal)

Keep the back straight, reach and slide, then lift & rotate only ideally.

Bugger, not intended to shout but I will let it go.

NOTE

I haint actually got a bench yet:laugh1:

but i will.

I am also committed to the Continental system of billiting in 1000mm lengths, strapping into a 1.0m dia bundle, leave outside to season, mechanically stacked in a 3 or 4m high stack, then mechanically re-handling with an agri round bale handler, round tubing with flared ends should not cut the polywhatsit strapping.

Onto the putative bench to go through the rocking saw and up the conveyor.

Job done.

Only In my dreams so far.

I sound a similar set up to you size wise. I've been logging up with a Oregon Easy Saw Horse then borrowing my Uncles log splitter every now and then. Then load in to ventilated bulk bags and stack with the tractor. I used to split with an axe, still do the odd bit with an axe but a log splitter is definitely where my money is going next year.

Also where I can I've started logging the tree up where it falls instead of cutting it in to lengths then having to handle it again to cut in to logs! Obviously can only do that if you are felling your own trees rather than buying cord in though.

597661e74603e_logsplitter.jpg.ade12c48e56bd1da111cb2790ba8e336.jpg

I have seen a Palax KS35 operate with a 21hp compact tractor on pto it struggled but powered it through 8inch rings on a chainsaw and 8 ton split force. Softwood that is.

A Palax KS35 would struggle on a 21hp tractor as I think any processor would. I was recommended nothing less than 35-40hp to run my KS35 and it copes with stuff up to its 14 inch diameter limit no bother. the only "problem" with the ram is the speed at which it retracts once its performed the splitting action. If cutting small diameter stuff its easy to cut ahead of the ram so the cut log then falls on the retreating ram and you rhen have to open the cage and reposition the log. Talking to Caledonian at the APF Palax have apparently fitted a booster so this does not happen.

Rover90 it is me that has had a 21hp compact on the Palax and it was fine on the day no problems. Obviously if was wanting output then more HP is better but the times have had the the compact on it its been fine!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

A splitter that will handle 1m lengths, to make billets, stack and season, cut when needed to order and load straight into truck,trailer or bag with 700mm tilting saw, like hp eagle or riko do one with a conveyor. Multiple handling and bending cost time and energy also if splitting with an axe, screw a tyre to your chopping block and stop the logs falling on the deck, pack the logs in and they hold each other up, it makes sooooooo much difference!

Tractor has 54hp at pto and 540 and 1000 speed pto

How much is a japa 700 new?

Easily enough power, I run mine on a 40 year old MF135 (40hp when new).

I would think you could find a used one with manual rack for about 5-6k + VAT, think its 100% tax deductible at present.

Output one man is about a cube an hour on log mixed diameter cord cutting at 240mm long, handles up to 250mm in diameter. Short logs (up to about 5 feet) are faster. I have to cut long ones in half first otherwise they jam on the rack as the log moves to the blade. I use a teleporter to load the rack, pretty slow without a log grab.

A

• 7 months later...
Easily enough power, I run mine on a 40 year old MF135 (40hp when new).

I would think you could find a used one with manual rack for about 5-6k + VAT, think its 100% tax deductible at present.

Output one man is about a cube an hour on log mixed diameter cord cutting at 240mm long, handles up to 250mm in diameter. Short logs (up to about 5 feet) are faster. I have to cut long ones in half first otherwise they jam on the rack as the log moves to the blade. I use a teleporter to load the rack, pretty slow without a log grab.

A

Reserecting an old thread here but is this right one man 1M3 in an hour?

I am still dithering about getting a processor but if this sort of speed is to be expected I will hold off for a bit longer.