Firewood options? Processing....

swinny

Hi there,

I currently just use a hydraulic splitter and a chainsaw, but for the past couple of years have found that it takes a long time to process wood and i need to speed things up to make it worth it!

Just to state all my wood is arb arrisings. I'm hoping to start bringing wood back more in lengths.

I have quite a big pile which i want to convert into fire wood soon and stack.

I have seen the oxdale and a few other pto saw benches, look really safe an fast/efficient.

I have just been looking at japa 100 and the hailki piikke? Spelling :blushing: and saw these have a screw splitter also....

Most wood as said will come back in lengths, but i have quite a few large rings 24" dia + so the japa etc no good for them, would have to continue using my log splitter for them.

Or sell that and get a screw log splitter?

As you can see i'm in a muddle!

How much are these japa's and the other one?

Many thanks for any info in advance!

Cheers :thumbup1:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Due to hse issues avoid screw type, they work well but split wood roughly. A sawhorse setup with multiple logs stacked is a time saver. You could out pace some processors on the cutting in to lengths, I find splitting the time consumer.

I can cut 5-6 cube in 3-4 hours with sawhorses. But then its to split.

a 700 mm circular saw will very much out pace a chainsaw (piece for piece, not comparative to the saw horse and chainsaw cutting multiple logs at once).

something like the japa 700 is a good bet to start with with out too much outlay, but hang on to your stand alone splitter for anything that needs splitting in to more than 4 pieces. depending on hp of tractor you can just about get away with running your processor on the 1000 pto with a converter, leaving the tractor only on tick over. :001_smile:

a 700 mm circular saw will very much out pace a chainsaw (piece for piece, not comparative to the saw horse and chainsaw cutting multiple logs at once).

something like the japa 700 is a good bet to start with with out too much outlay, but hang on to your stand alone splitter for anything that needs splitting in to more than 4 pieces. depending on hp of tractor you can just about get away with running your processor on the 1000 pto with a converter, leaving the tractor only on tick over. :001_smile:

Tractor has 54hp at pto and 540 and 1000 speed pto

How much is a japa 700 new?

that ought to be gutsy enough on the 1000

Sorry i dont know how much they are new. mine was second hand and has had lots of repairs, but that's half the beauty of it, they are soooo simple to repair/modify.

does it need the converter? what is a converter?

there's a hiliki pikkie on ebay for 1300 quid.... they seem to hold strong money 2nd hand... maybe too strong

I run an 84hp tractor and just use it for the loader, have sawhorse in bucket. to save picking up logs. If you are doing lots of firewood 40 cube a year I reckon processor is worth it as your fatigue will not kick in as much as with a handheld saw.

But for the outlay of machinery if you are a not doing high volume, its a toy like a combine stood most of the time.

I try and do 2-3 hours at a time sawing and did a 6hr stint over a week ago with a fiskars x27 having not built up gradually have suffered dead arms and sleepless nights:thumbdown:

It is the eternal question that keeps cropping up.

I'm building up each year.... probabilly 20 cube this year.... got about 8 ton + to process yet for next year.... but will be bringing more in no doubt to stick into next years aswell...

Also going to stack timber this year oppose to just throwing in a pile!!! :001_rolleyes: