Are logs worth doing anymore ?

gensetsteve

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So in general, log prices of around £75 a cube are competitive with gas in terms of energy output. Of course, with wood you get far far more than just heat, and the extra value from the cosiness and ambiance of a real fire makes logs far more than just fuel.

They look like sensible figures to me Tom, I did much the same in the 70s and aimed to give the equivalent value as the retail price of delivered coal, which was a falling market then as the gas network expanded. I now consider this to have been a big financial mistake as logs are a luxury good, one should charge what the market will stand.

I haven't got my head round whether each of posters' "cubes" is actually comparable but would expect to be charging at least 25% above the competitive calorific value.

The FC in the early 80s published a guide and pushed for the idea of a solid cubic metre equivalent for log sales, I think I still have some of the leaflets they produced for handing out to customers.

Have a look at the Nottingham Energy partnership costs comparison chart. Last time I looked that showed logs at about the same price per kw as gas currently is.

A

Yes, but it is extremely difficult to deliver the KWH's that are in wood in anything like the efficiency of gas, so a great deal of the energy from wood is lost/wasted, so you need to buy a great deal more.

I made a 'marketing mistake' getting full cube vented bags. I should also have got half cubic meter bags as well.

Currently I charge:

£85-00 per cube delivered mixed wood (hard and soft)

£100-00 per cube delivered hardwood only (mixture of hardwood)

£120-00 per cub delivered oak only (just oak!)

Buy x2 bags get £10-00 off total. Free delivery within 10 miles.

All seasoned in a polytunnel for 9 months min.

But you compare any of these prices to £50-00 a load and they look expensive.

So this year I'm getting some half cube vented bags and will re bag some of logs so my prices per 'load' will then start at £50-00 for 1/2 cube mixed wood £65-00 hardwood only.

I've tried hard educating people about loads and volumes and what's what but have now reached the conclusion you can't beat the 'how much for a load' mindset.... so we'll see!

:biggrin:

I enjoy producing logs for easy going friendly folk. But the more I look at the process and the figures the less sense it makes as we go on. Especially buying in cord wood. With pellets and chip all subsidised with grants it is making logs an expensive fuel. Logs take along time to season. the end product is more difficult to load and the sizes are more difficult to control. The customer accepts his heating bill will be £1200 for the year but only wants to spend £60 on his load of logs. The cost of log processing equipment is getting so expensive the cost of large chippers looks more reasonable. It takes hours to convert an arctic load of timber in to pellets or chip rather than days to turn into logs. I doubt chip customers run at you with a moisture meter screaming theres birch in there :biggrin:

Thanks Steve. We've tried, with little success, producing logs. The time and effort never justifies the ROI. However, I'd like to hear some success stories.

I've tried hard educating people about loads and volumes and what's what but have now reached the conclusion you can't beat the 'how much for a load' mindset.... so we'll see!

I think you're absolutely right about this. It's also very common for people to think that they are getting a ton of logs when they are in fact getting a builder's bag, aka 'a ton bag'.

2 men hand cutting a load of tree surgery wood waste in their yard at the end of a day where they have already made a day rate on their tree surgery. say 2 hours work, £120 cash at the end of the day, not a bad little pick up to round the day off.

that £120 has paid for one of the blokes daily wage i suppose so not to bad if you look at it like that.

that £120 has paid for one of the blokes daily wage i suppose so not to bad if you look at it like that.

If ya were paying what huck thinks is a living wage it's a day and a half's wages.....Get them peasant logging :thumbdown: But in reality you can't make money at £60 a m3

If ya were paying what huck thinks is a living wage it's a day and a half's wages.....Get them peasant logging :thumbdown: But in reality you can't make money at £60 a m3

Err excuse me, you really do have a bee in your bonnet don't you:thumbdown:

Please tell me were I have ever posted what I think is a living wage:sneaky2:

I have only ever said that the only people who can determine a persons wage is them, why accept a rate and then bitch about it?????:confused1:

Please get your facts straight in future.