Under payed?

nz paul

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you on most of your comments regarding this thread Andy - but I could not disagree more with the above.

When done properly tree surgery is a highly skilled profession - and certainly in the same league as plumbers, electricians and gas fitters.... absolutely no question IMO.

:001_smile:

Then we are just tradesmen, semi skilled is all we are classed as. As I said highly skilled professionals are a huge step beyond our level. But this is old ground.

Why do we in this country get paid less than elsewhere? I feel this is beyond my knowledge and experience, but what has been said above makes sense, I suppose. We pay into a Health system that some say is the envy of the world. Would you rather have more pay and take a chance on whether you'd need a Health Service, I can now honestly say I wouldn't. If you work abroad, how do you get on for health care, if needed? Insurance? Government health system similar to the UK, or private health care, or turn around and come back to the UK and use the NHS?

Yip your probably right,but im not on here to massage ego's,just telling it how i see it,a lot won't like it,but tell you what my wife loves my honesty!

Nothing wrong with honesty Paul,but the clever part is doing it without sounding deliberately provocative,try it & see.:001_rolleyes::laugh1:

IMO it comes down to there's no industry standard that the public are aware of....

If there were and the public were informed they'd be a bigger lean towards using qualified people.... as it is there are too many unqualified uninsured people doing the work and this keeps prices low.

When this industry can pull together under one unified clear standard that the man on the street has heard of then prices would be higher.

agreed, although i have only been in industry for 2 years now and will still work for experience at a lower wage.

its an intresting thought though. could we make the public more aware of our industry by changing legislation to insist that fully qualified professionals are the only ones allowed to perform work and have a move vigorus policy on TPO's?

if TPO's were more common and the fines were passed onto the owner of the tree for not using a qualified professional. would that help? would it mean they dont risk using unqualified people on the cheap?

Then we are just tradesmen, semi skilled is all we are classed as. As I said highly skilled professionals are a huge step beyond our level. But this is old ground.

Why do we in this country get paid less than elsewhere? I feel this is beyond my knowledge and experience, but what has been said above makes sense, I suppose. We pay into a Health system that some say is the envy of the world. Would you rather have more pay and take a chance on whether you'd need a Health Service, I can now honestly say I wouldn't. If you work abroad, how do you get on for health care, if needed? Insurance? Government health system similar to the UK, or private health care, or turn around and come back to the UK and use the NHS?

i whole heartedly agree andy, and no im not patting you on the back or smiley facing - just agreeing with your post - it makes sense and i hope others see your post for what it is, honesty

Most of the work is not that hard,most of the work is not that dangerous.If you want hard and dangerous go to Canada and try to get on a windfirming or single stem harvesting crew.The danger and hardship are matched by the pay.

There are many,many new starts entering the industry and climbers are not in demand like they used to be.The jobs are not that big,the prices put on jobs are not that big,however the costs of business are rising out of porportion to the income.

Employers pay what they need to get the staff they need, there is no shortage of people wanting to work in this industry for the rates currently available, so why pay more??

There was a shortage of tube drivers, so wages went up until they got enough drivers to fill the posts. The firefighters jumped on this and wanted to be paid the same as tube drivers, as the felt they deserved the same rate, but for every firefighters position advertised there were 80 applicants, so why pay more???

We have a "free market economy" if your not happy with the pay find another job, if enough people refuse to work for the current rates, there will not be enough people to fill the posts and rates will rise to attract the required staff.

I find it very amusing that if aways none climbers who feel its not skilled:sneaky2:

Edited by skyhuck

Allow me slightly adjust my statement then Huck, the majority of climbers are not highly skilled, some are skilful, some are semi skilled and many are hardly skilled at all. I hold two or three climbers that I know personally and have worked with in the skilful category, most I know are semi skilled and one or two I would not class as skilled at all. But they are all climbers. So in my statement I feel justified in my opinion.