Under payed?

nz paul

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment mate.

I must say though that the driving about from one place to another and not feeling trapped in anyone place for too long was part of the reason I ended up doing this job, and it's only pushing a few pedals ffs....:001_tongue:

I no it was mate I just felt like a Rant lol. I don't usually get stuck in but driving gets on my tits especially when your stuck in a little cabstar that's has a clutch heavier than your thigh muscle can handle.

A highly skilled profession is that of a neurologist, a nuclear physicist or an astronaut, not a tree surgeon. It's a semi skilled trade, not even in the same league as a gas fitter, or an electrician. The average tree surgeon will climb more small trees than large, and will only occasionally be in a dangerous situation, and most of those are avoidable with the correct procedures and equipment. A dangerous profession is an Explosive Ordinance Officer, we are not in that league.

£9 per hr, on the books with all the benefits and security that offfers, well it's money for old rope. What financial risk do you have? None. What if the client hasn't paid, you still get it. What if the work goes slack? Your boss will usually find you something to do so you get a wage still, even if it means he goes without. Vehicle problems? Not your worry.

Of course we are always worth more than we get, of course we are never content with our lot, it's human nature.

If you don't like it, try and do it for yourself, most end up quitting and going back to employment, or quitting the trade altogether, the world is full of "I used to be a tree surgeon" types.

Sorry i can't remember if i said highly skilled i think i said skilled.I bet most doctors etc.. could not do what i do,simple and it goes the other way,Funnily enough i have just started being a subbie and am earning three times the amount i was as employed.I just can't understand when people say there are no jobs around,pish there's loads most people are to lazy to get out there comfort zone,dam there's 102 jobs just on arbjobs alone!

I think it takes as much training as a builder,electrician to be experienced and skillfull in our enviroment!

No Paul, you said skilled, and Skip posted later "highly skilled", I'm not having a pop at any one, just holding an opinion.

You say you are now earning three times the rate as a subby, but you have to take holidays out of that, and other things that as an employee you would have paid. Don't forget, you go down sick or injured for any length of time and you get diddlly squat, and you may not be able to carry on. A company will usually help you out in that circumstance.

Edited by Andy Collins

My climber gets £140 a day. Often is the last to arrive- doesn't usually start climbing till 9 or 9.30 by the time they've got to site. Often finished by 3 or 3.30. Whats the hourly rate when he's actually working- must be £20-£25. Sometimes he doesn't even use his own kit. I don't mind- he's making the firm money (usually) except when he is breaking things or leaving twigs hung up in the tree which I have to go round and recover.- not any more hopefully

Yes I agree it's dangerous, but underpaid- I don't think so.

Plus I agree with all the employer comments- there is a lot of pressure on employers with PPE legislation/ fire risk/ vehicle insurance/public and employers liability- which needs to be checked through carefully to make sure they haven't stiched you up with new endorsements/ tickets for just about everything to prove you have trained people/record keeping( the big one) without the hassle of getting in work and organising work gangs. Fitting in work round holidays/ bank holidays and the weather. I'm not saying we do it for love but lets keep a balance.

Drs dont have to pay for their own kit worth thousands, or their own insurances, not many builders/electricians etc have to keep buying chainsaws at £600 +/harvestors and forwarders for £50k+, new tyres for tractors at £1k each, keep training at £1k for a week and tests, a brickie only needs a trowell an leccy only needs some wire and a van, what we need before we start the job full ppe can be a grand, travel off road into a forest so need a 4x4

yes you are a skilled profession , but just put it into perspective of what your employer needs to keep going, we do appreciate our lads and we look after them, bonuses at christmas, meals out parties etc and they are appreciated

if you want more go subbying - simple, pay your own tax and ni, work it all out when you get back from work, fill in your tax return when your tired do your repairs yourself and make sure you get your full weeks work every week to pay your mortgage

good luck

joy