Mirror mirror on the wall.... who makes the best chainsaw file of them all?

Rob D

Well done Rob for doing this, very interesting reading. I was convinced the save edge was my top and it turned out to be oregon:001_rolleyes:

On the subject of sharpening, my Gransberg precision grinder arrived today:biggrin: Thanks Rob and thanks for the extra stones too, top man:thumbup1:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only other thing with this test was that really you should have a go with all the different file sizes i.e. 5/32", 3/16" and 7/32" so x4 of each to see which came out the best.

I'll perhaps do this the next time round.

Also I'll advertise the test well in advance as a catchment of 30 people would be better.

:biggrin:

On the subject of sharpening, my Gransberg precision grinder arrived today:biggrin: Thanks Rob and thanks for the extra stones too, top man:thumbup1:

I still think the precision grinder is one of the most under rated sharpening tools.... When touching up it almost gives a polished finish to the tooth.

A good way of using in the workshop is just to buy a cheap ebay jumper pack as I've not found a 240V transformer....

They don't last all that long but a handy thing to have around anyway...

12V COMPACT JUMP START STARTER BOOSTER CAR VAN WITH AIR COMPRESSOR | eBay

I still think the precision grinder is one of the most under rated sharpening tools.... When touching up it almost gives a polished finish to the tooth.

A good way of using in the workshop is just to buy a cheap ebay jumper pack as I've not found a 240V transformer....

A great tip Rob,

I was thinking of getting a car battery, but the charger is certainly more portable. Might look into getting a small motorbike battery:thumbup1:

• 1 year later...
I do have the Save Edge files in now but won't be on my website until mid next week :blushing: so hang in there! As re vamping all those areas of the website.

I liked the Save Edge the best - as you say there's something a bit raw about them - they give the most chew off the tooth! The first few strokes on the tooth it can be 'catchy' but then it seems to find it's place and rapidly removes metal.

And in the endurance test (thanks Morten:thumbup:) it came out tops as well.

But I think if you like a smoother file with less bite the Vallorbe/Oregon ones are the way to go.

I'll see about doing some more tests soon! :001_smile:

HI ROB im after some of your good files save edge 4,8 mm files can you pm price on 2 boxes thanks jon

Just dipped into this thred and had a good look at robs test results after hitting something in a trunk and propper blunting the 088 and 30" bar. Started with a new 5.5mm stihl file did 1side 8 stroke per tooth, by the time I got half way down 2nd side I had to get a new file as was taking 12-15 strokes to get past the damage, New file back to 8.

I did clean the 1st file with old toothbrush to get rid of filings but still skidded hardly removing any mettle.

Think I'll be ordering some better files from Rob soon as I think even leading brand name files are becoming a false economy if they don't even last a full sharpen and are only good for a tickle up.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.hornershearing.com/acatalog/used-item-209.html

May be of interest!👍