Mirror mirror on the wall.... who makes the best chainsaw file of them all?

Rob D

Should be interesting the results or rather the results I've seen so far are interesting...

Please keep them coming - have had 7 out of 17.

Ta, Rob

7 out of 17....cmon, thats sheer muppetry, get those files out and get the results back to Rob.....how difficult can it be:001_rolleyes::lol:

Don't you sharpen your chains:blushing::lol:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ha ha! I never expected them quickly steve!

Let's say until sat night - in fact I'll send an e-mail to remind all that had the kits - if you have already sent the results DO NOT be offended as it's hard to tie in obscure arbtalk names and real names sometimes!!

:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Please keep them coming - have had 7 out of 17.

What is the status now? 9 days ago you'd had 7 out of 17.

I can understand that people are busy, but if they choose to participate in a test/survey, and take advantage of a GREAT offer (4 files for the price of one, and free shipping), the LEAST they can do is to spend ten minutes sharpening a saw.

The only thing required of the participants is to rank the four files on a saw:

1. A few strokes on a cutter with each of the four files
  2. Rank the files
  3. Repeat 1 & 2 until you get consistent results
  4. Report the ranking to Rob in a PM, as per instructions

Once the results are published, any further reports would be "tainted", as they may be influenced by the knowledge of file brands.

I don't think I'm revealing too much when I say that there is a GREAT deal of difference in the cutting speed of the different files.

I really look forward to seeing the results.

I'm going to collate the info today but I still think we are at 10 out of 18....

So other 8 please PM the results asap as everyone else wants to know what others have said....

I'll be sending out a reminder e-mail today and I think we'll give it until Sunday night 9pm before I show the results....

I can't show them now because it'll bias the ones that still need to come in.

:001_smile:

Ok I've started collating the results.

Currently I have 9 results in, have been contacted by 2 people to say they haven't had a chance to test them yet and no contact from 6 people! 1 person has kindly filed down a whole tooth with each file to see which file will take a tooth down the witness mark fastest!

It's been an interesting thing to do.... I'd like to think of a way of doing a larger survey but I reckon it's taken a full day to organise this test! The wrapping and posting is the biggest pain the backside so next time maybe I'll organise something at the Jonsie show so more people testing and less time and cash from me!

:biggrin:

Currently I have 9 results in, have been contacted by 2 people to say they haven't had a chance to test them yet and no contact from 6 people!

I am truly saddened and surprised by the fact that 6 arbtalk members have chosen to exploit this initiative to get three free files with free shipping, when all Rob asked was for them to spend ten minutes of their time to take part in this study/survey.

Unexpected circumstances may arise that prevents one from taking part - that can happen to anyone - but there is absolutely no excuse for choosing to volunteer, not do your part, not let Rob know, and in even ignore several email reminders.

END-OF-RANT :cursing::cussing:

Another time Rob I reckon some of us would pay the full cost of the items. I think its worth working these things out.

Also as an incentive you could do a money off next order for those who reply with results. Giving the reward afterwards instead of upfront.

Im game another time, or you could email feedback forms(low costs) to purchasers of equipment, bars chain etc.

I think it would be a shame to not do this though I understand why.

As for doing it at a show it only takes one person who is respected to say. The %^&% one was the best. Then the sheep follow. You would have to change the coding around for example the shiny tang on odd number testers would be brand A even number testers brand C.

As for doing it at a show it only takes one person who is respected to say. The %^&% one was the best. Then the sheep follow. You would have to change the coding around for example the shiny tang on odd number testers would be brand A even number testers brand C.

That's a good point although the only trouble with changing the coding around is it'll more than likely confuse me!

I'll maybe do another test in a few months time and figure out an easier way to do it.... I thought the having to buy 1 file a good method as it shows some commitment to have to put in all your details etc. ...

It would be good to have a faster way of grinding the engraved names of files off and marking them.... I'll keep an eye out of how to do this quicker and also a faster and easier way to package them.

I didn't think about the sending of them in that files are long and brittle and so take a lot of protection!